Child Behavior Expert Forum
angry stubborn child

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

angry stubborn child

Our 5yr old son gets angry easily and throws or kicks things or hits his older brother and sister.  He is starting to have some problems in school. A few times he has refused to participate in class activities and will just put his head on his desk. He does not get angry in school just "defiant" and refuses to join his class.  
First, you should arrange an evaluation with a pediatric mental health clincian. The behavior in school is far outside the normal range. At home, take a look at Lynn Clark's book SOS Help for Parents and follow its guidelines carefully (see www.sosprograms.com).
I know what you are going through.  I am afraid that if you do not deal with the problems in school now they will escalate.  Put in place a consistant punishment/reward program for when he is good or bad in school each day.  Make sure you talk to his teacher on a daily basis, maybe after school, that is when I talk to my sons teacher.  Also, do this for home as well, and like the doctor said, seek help, they can help you too in regards to dealing with the problems.