Child Behavior Community
any tips on teaching an 18 month old the basics? (colors ect.)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

hello, i dont think ive posted a question in this forum yet, so ill give a little background, i have a 18 month old, healthy baby girl (my first) so im new on teaching her the basic things, im trying everything but thought it would be nice to get some tips that may have worked for all you moms out there,

im trying to introduce colors, and sounds and such, but shes a late talker and only says a few words clearly, so im not sure if im doing things right

she absolutly LOVES her books, ive got a few books on colors and numbers and animal sounds and shapes but i think im probably confusing her with too much at once, whats the best to start out with?  

i know all kids develop at their own rate, and i really want to  believe shes smart already, for example if i say "go get lucky the ducky book" or "go get your baby" she understands perfectly, but a few of my friends and family have kids her age and a little older and they are all talking away, and they are always on my case about why im not working with her, and that she should be talking up a storm by now, i really dont know what to say to that, i really do work with her, some family members (my grandma for example) thinks shes  "slow" because my cousins baby just turned two and can recite her ABC's already

so i guess id just like some suggestions on how to "teach" her these things, are books a good choice? DVD's ?
The baby einstein videos are great!! Both of my kids loved them and learned all there shapes, colors, animals, etc from them!! They make great flash cards as well in the baby einstein. Enjoy!!!
I wouldn't worry too much about whether she's behind her cousin in speaking fluently - are you at home with her?  If you are,  just giving her lots of attention will do it -

You can work things into the conversations.     There are a lot of classic toys - like the string pull see and say where it says the cow says moo,  etc.  It's fun and kids love it.

For colors,  I went to the paint shop and got a bunch of those little paint sample cards,  and cut them all up into individual paints.  We'd play "match the colors" and it was fun.  You could sort them into all the greens,  or you could make a rainbow with ROYGBIV,  or a pattern.  

Kids want to be with you,  and interact with you,  and if you have a fun game to play they want to play.  I wouldn't stress about making the teaching terribly structured at this point or it will lose its fun.

Best wishes.
I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with cardsfan - there are some great videos,  and computer games like Treehouse and Playroom,  very fun - if the einstein videos are based on fun,  and interaction,  that would be great too.
thanks ladies! Ive been thinking of getting the einstein videos, where would you find them? Is there a package where you can get all the videos, or are they separate?

RockRose- wow that sounds like a great idea with the color cards! very creative, i stay home for now, im 6 months pregnant so im trying to get as much "me and taylor" time as i can right now, ill have to start back to school in the spring, but thats only for a few hours a day, im very lucky i get to stay home

you sound a little like me with the creative touches, ive tried painting index cards bright colors and telling her "red" and so on, but i agree thats a little much for her, she just cant wait to get her hands on the paper and rip it to shreads lol,

and i wanted to add im not a crazy person who thinks she should be carrying on conversations at this age, its just a little nerve racking having this little life who im responsible for teaching her about everything, i just want to be on the right track (and it kind of gets to me when people assume since shes not speaking in full sentences that its me whos not taking the steps for that to happen) but sounds like im going overboard and shes on track *sigh of relief*

and id much rather her be a happy kid then forcing her to grow up to early

thanks again
If shes a late talker you can teach her some basic sign language. Thats what I did and it helped her communicate a lot easier. You can get any kind of learning toy really. Flash cards. Work with her on just saying regular day things, "your shirt your wearing is yellow". For body parts my daughter learned well from the "head shoulders knees and toes" song. Songs are good for that. Make animal noises. When your doing something with her make sure you tell her what your doing. "we're putting on your red socks.. I'm making you a grilled cheese sandwich" etc. It helps them learn colors and stuff and helps them connect with what they are.
In response to Rockrose, I did not suggest to put a video in and leave. You need to put the video in and sit on the floor with your child and interact while video is playing, For example, point out to different things and tell your child what it is.
Taysmommy- you can get those videos pretty much anywherel, like Target, Walmart, Babies r us, etc. I do know that Sams club has a dvd set with about 1o different videos. Also, just talk to your shild while you are doing things. Like if she is pointing for more juice and you know exactly what she wants, still say " Do you want some juice" or I am now pouring the juice in the cup. Good Luck
Your dtr. is doing fine.  By 18 months, toddlers should be able to use 3 words and should be able to point to what they want i.e. a toy, sippy cup etc.  This is a good age to use board books for reading time.  Go to your local library's children's area, there are many good books there that are designed to introduce young onces to the basics colors, letters, numbers, counting, etc.  All children truly develop at their own pace and its best not to push development or learning on them.  Resolve now not to stress about what your child's cousins, neighbor kids etc. are doing or not doing in comparison to your dtr.  Just enjoy her, focusing on other kids development will rob you of fully enjoying your own wonderful dtr.  I agree with the others that you should be very judicious in the use of television with your child.  In fact, many experts recommend that a child your dtr.s age not view television at all.  You should talk to your pediatrician re: television viewing and your dtr.  Best wishes...
I agree with Rock Rose and Cleveland.  Your daughter is doing fine.  Resist the urge to allow other people to put their expectations on you and your child.  Play, play, play, that is how children learn.  She has her whole life to be in school and have structured learning.  Let her be a preschooler, don't shorten her childhood.  I am sure she is a sweet, bright, delightful little girl and that is all the matters.
Great ideas for learning.  My boys loved the baby Einstein videos when they were little--my almost three year old still likes some of them--not to often to sit and watch though.  Yes, in every day life start giving her the options of say the blue bowl--or the red bowl--and then see if she can pick either the matching cup or silverware--gives her some control in life and also helps with the colors at the same time.   For the videos if you don't mind buying used go to HALF.COM and purchase them there.   Saves you quite a bit of money.

I always liked to use the shape sorter that play school makes..it is the little tube with a cover that you sort shapes but also they are by color--helps there also.  Good Luck--everything is really a teaching opportunity and if you are spenidn quality time with your daughter then don't worry too much about the talking.  She may just be a late bloomer or just doesn't have that much to say.
thanks everyone! great suggestiongs, i think the best suggestion yet is not to worry so much about her, so all made me feel so much better about her development so far, i thought when she was younger she was going to do everything early, she crawled at 4 months, walked well at 9 months, so im thinking her motor skills are what shes early at, and the talking and such will come later,

personally i never thought an 18 month old should be talking up a storm just yet, im just going to have to tell everyone who asks that shes talking like and 18 month old should, i think others like to "brag" about how much more their child does then mine sometimes, i really dont see why they would want to do that, i dont see what they gain, but i guess people are just competitive by nature and i just need to shrug it off, truely great advise ladies! i hope once my kids are older i can be as much help as you all are :)
wow I have read everyones advice and i have to say it really helped me out and encouraged me, i am in the same boat as taysmommy, my daughter is 18 mths old and does'nt really speak yet,though i have tried everything I know to do to help her to speak and learn shapes and colors. Thanks so much. She seems to know her shapes as far as putting them in the matching holes, also seems to how to get what she needs by holding my hand and taking me and pointing to what she needs, I think I am going to get some of those baby einstein videos, thanks so much. Any other advice any of you could give would be greatly appreciated.
V-smile is a great tool too.  But generally I think your child is fine and if you try to incorporate colors and shapes and things into your daily conversation just as you would talk to another person, she will pick it up eventually.  Just keep a line of dialogue open and it will happen.  Even if she's not saying it, I bet she's getting it.
my 18 month old son knows the entire alphabet. in order too.

and also knows all the body parts. plus other words.
also knows all the animals!

can point to all numbers to 20 and can say couple of them.

he is been interested in books for the past month and a half.
i was told that i learned all these ate age 3-4 . lol.
my kid is outsmarting me.
how did you teach your kid all those stuff?
that's wonderful
I never did any of that stuff. I let my babies be babies. That time was precious to them. I felt  that letting them develop on their own when they were very little was more important than memorizing stuff that they could pick up in a week when they started school. Sure there were books around, and, yes, we talked about everything under the sun, but nothing was structured, and I purposely turned my back on the head start approach,  So are my four grown children flipping burgers at MacDonald's? Hardly. They all graduated from top tier universities and have satisfying careers.