Child Behavior Community
baby food

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

baby food

when is it the best  time to start baby food on a baby. like the fruits and veggies..
thanks..
ksanden
-6 Comments Post a Comment
6 months at the earliest! you should also wait to introduce stawberries because it is a more common allergy. more acidic fruits like oranges and kiwi should be avoided until one year old because is can cause a bad diaper rash. It is also better and cheaper to make your own baby food .(cooked veggies in a blender with no salt, or throw some fruit in a blender, then you can pour the mixture in an ice cube tray and freeze it. they pop out and store easily in a freezer bag for later. They are a perfect amount for babies.Make sure when you do start baby food that your baby still gets almost the same amount of breast milk or formula  to insure proper developement. That should continue to be the main source of nutrition until your baby is a year old. Also be sure to only introduce one new food at a time.                           kiwifruit
thanks kiwifruit....
It is now said that you shouldn't start your baby on fruits first because there is said to be a link that the kids end up liking sugary stuff more.
Don't start your baby on baby food before your doc tells you it's okay to do so, allergies is a big problem if you start them on it too soon.
Do not give your child eggs, and do not give them oranges.  I don't remember what the reasoning is behind not giving them oranges, but it is something more then just causing diaper rash.
The thing about when to start baby food really depends on your child though. If you start it before your child is able to keep it in his or her mouth, you will just end up scooping it back up off their chin over and over again.
I would not go by the calendar--read your baby's cues.  Is he reaching for your food differently than he reaches for other things?  Does he seem interested in food--like he wants to eat, too?  Is he growing well and thriving on breast milk alone?  Does he seem hungrier than usual--waking more often at night and needing to nurse more often throughout the day (not related to teething or fussiness due to illness or vaccinations)?  I've read a couple of lists which include cutting teeth as a sign of readiness.  Sitting up, head control, losing the extrusion reflex (pushing tongue out), and acquiring the pincer grip ability are other signs I've seen listed online.

My daughter is 7 1/2 months old and still exclusively breastfeeding.  When I feel she's ready, I plan to put her in a high chair with a very small amount of food (I'm still trying to decide which food will be her first, but it most likely will not be a cereal) and let her play with the food and feed herself with her hands (or the rubber-tipped baby spoon if she's coordinated enough at the time).  For me, it will be more about allowing her to explore and develop an interest in food than actually getting calories into her.  I'm pretty sure I will follow La Leche League's recommendations when it comes to food introduction.

Like Laura said, there are foods to avoid for the first year or longer--your pediatrician should be able to provide a list.  Nuts, peanuts, citrus, honey, egg whites, (and I've read cow's milk, too) are some things I've read should be avoided.  Again, ask your pediatrician for a list and guidance.  My pediatrician asked me if anyone in the immediate family had food allergies--that is something to consider when introducing solids, too.

Good luck!
my son is four months old, he started cereal at 3 months to help fill him up at nights that was what my doc told me i could do. but now all he want to do is eat other stuff. he crys and crys for it. trys to get supper plates like the food on it to eat. he eats really good on the spoon and i just dont no what to do. he likes cereal which i give him only once a day because other wise hed eat that all day and not breast feed. lol. need advice on what to do...
thanks
ksanden
After my son was use to cereal I had put a little fruit or veggie in it. But I would give one kind of fruit or veggie for three day to make sure  he didnt have an allergy towards it.
good luck
My son also was hungry at night after a while on the cereal. Thet have cereal out there for Night time that will fill him up for longer,.. or do the fruit or veggie in the bottle with the cereal.  
this information helps me out alot..
teko: i did the same to my daughter 4 years ago but everything seems to change every year lol. its messed up how all of that works i remember putting cereal in my daughters bottle now they say not to do that so its hard to no anything these days..  i agree with you about the feedings my son is no longer wanting to breast feed as much as he did ever since i started the cereal he wants more and more and it never enough but he is still doing feedings so hes getting both.. last night i went to the store and got applesauce and pears to put in with the cereal to help him out better.. thanks everyone so much....
ksanden