Child Behavior Community
bathroom accidents at age 6
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

bathroom accidents at age 6

My 6 year old son has poop accidents on a daily basis.  He sometimes has a pee accident and poop accidents only rarely but recently, these accidents are happening daily (sometimes 2+ per day).  When he began 1st grade, he had accidents only at home but the last couple of days, they happened when he was at school and he's sure no one noticed.  We've ruled out medical issues.  My husband and I have discussed this at length with him (trying to be gentle) and we've gone through reward systems (stickers, points, outright bribes), but these haven't worked for us.  This evening, we decided that he needs to wear overnights even during the day until he is dry and clean all day for a whole day.  My son tried to negotiate "what if it's just a little accident?, what if it's only for half a day?"  I wonder if the transition to 1st grade is affecting him but he was at this school for K and he knows his classmates and his teachers already (and they know him too).  What haven't I thought of?  Is it too harsh to make him wear overnights?  Are there other ways to address this?  Do I just wait it out?  Thank you for your suggestions.