Child Behavior Community
bathroom accidents at age 6

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

bathroom accidents at age 6

My 6 year old son has poop accidents on a daily basis.  He sometimes has a pee accident and poop accidents only rarely but recently, these accidents are happening daily (sometimes 2+ per day).  When he began 1st grade, he had accidents only at home but the last couple of days, they happened when he was at school and he's sure no one noticed.  We've ruled out medical issues.  My husband and I have discussed this at length with him (trying to be gentle) and we've gone through reward systems (stickers, points, outright bribes), but these haven't worked for us.  This evening, we decided that he needs to wear overnights even during the day until he is dry and clean all day for a whole day.  My son tried to negotiate "what if it's just a little accident?, what if it's only for half a day?"  I wonder if the transition to 1st grade is affecting him but he was at this school for K and he knows his classmates and his teachers already (and they know him too).  What haven't I thought of?  Is it too harsh to make him wear overnights?  Are there other ways to address this?  Do I just wait it out?  Thank you for your suggestions.
Could he be constipated? Even if he seems to be having a bm everyday he could still be constipated. My son is 5 and was having accidents everyday sometimes several times a day.  It was so frustrating i thought it was behavioral or laziness.  But, he was actually constiipated and developed encopresis.  There is lots of info on the web about it.  But don't be fooled they don't have to have diarreah (diarrhea) with it and they can pass stool everyday its just that some stool is so hard and massive that they cant actually push it all out at once so they seem to have small hard bm=s throughout the day sometimes they are almost black in color and almost hard as rocks.  
We started giving him miralax and it has worked wonders.  But maybe none of this even applies to your son, and other than this i really don't know.  I wouldn't use overnights because that might ruin his confidence and could cause further regression.