Child Behavior Expert Forum
bed wetting and possibble obsessions.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

bed wetting and possibble obsessions.

My five and half year old started wetting her bed during the night. She has never done this.The bed wetting started, a few months after she started kindergarten. I spoke to the school psychologist about this, and ofcourse she wanted me to rule out any physical problem, such as a bladder infection.My daughter did have a bladder infection and is currently taking nitrofurantoin once daily for one month,and then refered to see aurologist, if the problem persist. I'm concerned, that the bed wetting issue is not all physical, because of some other behaviors she has? This is a list of the behaviors,She has never liked to wear panties she constantly focusus on ways to go without panties.she constantly pulls at her bottom,and defies any resolutons,that I suggest to help.She cries and has tantrums,of hitting me,or fussing consistently about this.She can't seem to stand any amount of dampness in this area.I,m currently letting her wear mini pads,she is a real controling child.She will not go to bed by herself,and never has.Her father or I have to sleep with her,or she will be so loud,and unreasonable,that no one gets any rest.I also have a 15 year old daughter at home that is profoundly physical and mentally disabled.The attention and care providing,that my disabled child gets,from me and others could have an impact?I've always tried to,give my 5 year old the age appropriate   attention and disciplen.However it is great to raise my 5 year old with normal childhood dvelopments,I know that my 5 year old,has gotten less,disclipen so to speak due to this. Thank You!
Your description indicates that the nocturnal enuresis may well be physically based - it was not a coincidence that the enuresis occurred at the time of a urinary tract infection. In addition, there are certainly emotional/behavioral matters to address, and possibly some sensory integration problem as well. Obtaining a mental health evaluation would be appropriate. This can clarify the diagnostic issues and help you with a plan for managing the behavior. If you want to obtain an evaluation re: sensory integration, the appropriate discipline to investigate this is occupational therapy.