Child Behavior Community
behavior changes in 3 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

behavior changes in 3 year old

my daughter turned 3 in september. She is very verbal and loves playing with other kids and talking to people. She used to love preschool and classes. Right after winter break, she came down with a horrible case of the flu. About 6 days of fever and then another week or so with cough/runny nose and overall feeling very sick. Since then, she cries every morning that we have school or classes. She wants me to go with her and stay the whole time. The teachers say she calms down about a couple minutes after I leave but she is not acting like herself before she got sick. Is this a common thing after recovering from being sick? It has been over 2 weeks and she is still saying she doesn't want to go to school or any classes, just stay home. I keep wondering when the daughter who used to love school and classes will return!

Thank you,
Judy
I wrote pretty much this exact same post about my just turned 3 year old a few weeks ago.  Only difference was he had not been sick.  He too loves school and is very verbal and social.  Has always loved school  One day he just didn't want to go and this carried on for 2 or 3 weeks.  Screaming, clinging to my leg at drop off, wanting me to stay.  His teacher also told me he was fine a minute or two after I left.  I was so worried. This week, he just changed again.  He is back to his usual self at drop off....running off to see his friends with barely a backward glance.  I guess it was just a stage.

My guess would be part of it with your daughter was that she got used to being home with you for a bit.  Or it could be like my son and just something she is going through. In any event, I bet she is fine again quickly.