Child Behavior Community
behaviour of my 2 1/2 yr old boy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

behaviour of my 2 1/2 yr old boy

He is very stubborn and violent. He don't listen to me at all and is very fussy in eating. If I say anything to him he starts slapping me.
Hm.  Well, 2 year olds do have a reputation for not being the most charming of creatures.  What do you do when he slaps you?  What forms of disipline do you use?  I'd encourage you not to slap/spank him as you are his role model and if he sees that is how mom/dad react to anger/frustration then that is how he will act. Same goes for screaming and yelling.  

I like the book and it is recommended here "SOS for Parents" by Lynn Clark which goes through the process of time out.  Yes, it can work for a 2 year old.  I also use the idea of "natural consequences".  If my child slaps me-------------  what is my reaction.  Well, time out for starters (or I actually take something they love love love and put IT in time out)--------- but I also change my demeanor.  I also am not going to do as they ask.  I am calm but the consequence is that they lose something they like and they will NOT get what they want.

Make sure you are consistent as well and don't threaten things you won't do.  Follow through is important.  Your child is suppose to test your boundaries and this won't be the last time.  But you are the parent--------- so you patiently show them where the boundary is.  

Picky eating is hard and 2 is a terrible time in which many kids start pushing things away.  I have a child with sensory issues and he had trouble chewing certain foods and certain textures made him spit food out.  His sensory issues are real so I work around it.  My other son does not have sensory issues but went through a picky period.  Serve one thing they like with dinner and then introduce other things in which a few bites is encouraged.  Be creative.  

It's hard raising little ones.  But you are the parent.  Stay calm and gently show your child your boundaries.  good luck