Child Behavior Community
biting nails, skin on hands and feet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

biting nails, skin on hands and feet?

My 6 year old granddaughter has, for the past year or so been biting the skin on her hands and her feet, It started with her nail biting but now it has gone to biting her skin on hands, fingers, thumbs and toes. She seems to do it quite unconciously most of the time but then when her Mum brings her attention to what she is doing she will slip upstairs to her bedroom and do it in privacy. Apparently she is doing it at school and the teachers have noticed it as well. She comes from a very stable and loving home she shares with her Mum, Dad and an older brother. My daughter is getting quite upset about this now and, as usually happens where children are concerned, she thinks it is something she is doing wrong. Is this a common problem? Can you help with any advice?