Child Behavior Expert Forum
child asking why...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

child asking why...

This may sound trivial, but I need some advice.  I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who is smart, happy and healthy.  She is going through the normal phase of asking "why" in reference to anything and everything, but it is really starting to get on my nerves.  She doesn't ask why the sky is blue or why the grass is green, she asks why about everything and even if I give her an explanation, she'll ask why again.  She'll ask, "why are we going home?"  I'll say because school is over and she'll ask why.  When I say we're going to eat dinner, she'll ask why.  I try to give simple explanations, but no matter what I say she continues to ask why.  The last thing I want to do is stifle her curiosity, but it annoys me to the point where I've actually told her not to ask my why anymore for that day.  She is also going through a phase where she is afraid to be alone in any room of our house.  Even though I work during the day,(she is in daycare and does great) we go home and she's on top of me every second (even in the bathroom) and she's constantly chatting and asking why.  The umpteenth time she says "mommy...." and I say WHAT with obvious frustration in my voice, she'll tell me that she loves me.  Is this manipulation, natural curiosity, WHAT? (PS, I feel guilty for feeling frustrated and annoyed). By the way, my husband is a police officer on the evening shift, so she and I are usually alone, and my frustration is compounded by the fact that I'm 8 months pregnant and not sleeping too well.(She seems excited about the new baby, no obvious distress there).  I guess my real question is... is this acceptable/normal behavior and HOW DO I COPE WITH IT WITHOUT LOSING MY MIND?????  Thanks alot for any advice you can give.