Child Behavior Expert Forum
child biting in daycare

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

child biting in daycare

Hello, I have a questiong about a child whose been biting in daycare.  I work in a daycare and work with a child who bites almost everyday.  The daycare wants to put a teething ring around her neck to get her to bite the ring instead of other children.  I am not so sure it will work, but don't know any alternatives to stop biting.  Can you give me any solutions or ways to stop the biting in a positive manner??

Thanks for your time,
shelly
***@****
Dear Shelly,

I doubt this technique will have any impact, but it won't hurt anything either.

The youngster should be placed in time out immediately on the occasion of any aggressive behavior, biting or otherwise. Few words need be spoken - "No biting" is enough to say.

You might utilize the SEARCH function in this Forum to see answers to others who posed similar questions.
What happens when you have continuously said no biting,  and the child keeps biting.  I have done several things including: spanking, time outs, biting him back, making him look at what he did and apologize.  This is my little boy he just turned 2.  He has only bit at daycare.
You have said you have biten him back, but did you do it hard enough to really hurt him?? Also give the Day Care Staff permission to bite him when he does this.  Believe me it worked for me and both my children.  I hate biting, and I believe one good bite deserves another.  I believe the he will get the message real fast after a few times of hard pay paybacks.
To the person who suggested to bite a child back, I cannot believe you would do such a thing.  And, to the person who that advice was given to, please do not take it.  Children learn from examples--how can you teach a child not to bite if you are biting the child?  There are plenty of alternatives.  Sit the child in time out.  Talk to the child.  Have the child stay with you for a few minutes--do not allow them to play with other children.  Then, after about 2-5 minutes, allow them to go back to play.  When the child bites and you put them in time out, ignore them for 2 minutes, during which you give much attention to the bitten child.  Even if these suggestions do not work, I would not for any reason suggest biting back--this is only teaching the child that biting is ok.  Yes, it might teach that biting hurts, but because you are doing it, the child will think it is acceptable behavior.
I too am going through the same " problem" at the moment where I work, but it isn't just one child!! I suppose you feel the same as me, guilty towards the other parents when you have to tell them - again that it is their child who has been bitten.

The age group I work with is 1-2 years.

The way I have found to work the best is to say to one particular child "NOT NICE" and make them help to comfort the child, make the biter apply the cold compress and then let the biter see you give the hurt child lots and lots of love.
One child who is biting seems to be teething, another seems to do it for attention and the other , well who knows!
You aren't alone in this problem, and I must admit I thought that I was!! But reading this has made me feel a little better and I hope it does you too.

Good Luck!
I also have the same problem with my two year old.Day care wants me to do something about it the only problem is I don't work there.I feel bad for the kid he bites.Daycare wants to put him on his soother again and he has been off it for a while.Don't bite your child back and it's not fair to make a toddler take a soother if he isn't on one.You can try what I tried which is talk to the toddler alot about what he did and how much it hurts.I told him that instead of bitting he should kiss.If I put my finger infront of his mouth and told him to bite me he won't he kisses my finger instead.
My teachert has a child that keeps biting. I would like to solve
tis. I think that biting is plain pathetic,but young children don't know that it is wrong. They have tried biting her back and even tried a teething ring.
Need help and don"t know what else to do mt 2 yr old grand daughter it biting in day car and we don't know what to do. It is does'nt stop she may be asked to move

biting hurts
I have a two year old son in day care who bites also.  I was told by the day care staff to always look for things that the child has done that are postive.  She said when you tell your child "don't Bite"  All he hears is "BITE"  So intead of saying dont bite, Say be nice, or share your toys or give hugs.
This sounds so much like my grandson who is 19  months old and has been showing aggressive behavior, biting and pinching. Not all the time and at times for no reason at all. The child care center is willing to help with this problem, but if it does not improve he will be asked to leave. My daughter is so distressed over the whole matter and does not know what else to do, as they have tried time outs and talking with the child. Does anyone know if there is testing for a child so young? Any help for my daughter and son would be welcomed.
A related discussion, Children biting at Daycare was started.