Child Behavior Expert Forum
childs behaviour

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

childs behaviour

i have a 5yr old girl she is ok at times other times she is raising her voice at me and when i tell her not to treat me like that she gets  angry and starts crying, whining and when i explain to her to stop crying she isnt in trouble i just told you not to treat me like that. i dont know what to do its at a point now i cant handle it anymore, my partner also cant handle it and its at a point now where the relationship between us all as a family is falling apart if that makes sennce, my partner talks of leaving. can anyone help what can i do about her behaviour? my 3 year old daughter is tarting t observe her sisters behaviour and she is starting to misbehave and carry on like her sister
1 Comment
Try to keep your focus on the behavior (i.e., raising her voice to you) that causes you to set limits in the first place. You get distracted from the main focus if you turn your attention to her response to your limit setting. You can approach this in a straightforward manner. First, let your daughter know that she can expect a time out any time she raises her voice to you. Then, if she does raise her voice, place her in time out (an adult-size chair) for five-ten minutes (it's important that she be seated and quiet before you start the time). In addition, to enhance her motivation, establish a reward system whereby she will recieve the reward each day she refrains from raising her voice to you. In all this, remember it's important to allow room for children to be angry with us -you have to use your judgment about what is a reasonable expression of anger.