Child Behavior Expert Forum
chronic constipation in 1 yr. old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

chronic constipation in 1 yr. old
My 16 month old grandaughter has a constant problem with constipation. right now to the point of crying when her bowels try to move because it hurts so bad.  Mother has given her prune juice and apple juice, which usually helps, but is not helping now.  Can you offer any advice as far as a daily diet or anything else that might help?
Dear Ardy,

Since our focus in this Forum is on child behavior, we won't venture into the realm of suggested diet. We would recommend an immediate consultation with the pediatrician, both for advice and to be sure there is not impacted stool in your granddaughter's bowels.
Dear Andy -
   Although the focus of this forum is behavior - as a Pediatrician myself, I would encourage your son or daughter to schedule an appointment with your granddaughter's doctor to evaluate her constipation.  It is important that your granddaughter have regular bowel habits - meaning a soft stool painlessly on a regular basis - preferably daily. Manipulation of diet - addition of stool softeners or natural stimulants - can all be discussed.  Prune juice - as well as any of the "P" fruits (prunes, peaches, pears, plums) can also be helpful.  But I would like to know that there is no structural reason for her constipation - i.e., no indication of an intestinal blockage or narrowing - which only her doctor can evaluate.
   Good luck - Dr. EV.
Dear Ardy
My 9 year old daughter suffered from constapation for a whole year, she was on a laxative all that time.  When I tried to reduce the dose she would end up rolling around the floor in pain.  Eventually I went to a homeopath, he gave her a hoewopathic remedy which she took for 3 months.  Her symptoms decreased within days and she hasn't had a problem since and that was a year ago.  Of course with your child being so young you would want to check everything out but it's worth considering.