Child Behavior Community
clothes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

clothes

i have a almost 4 year old and every morning i go throw hell. He hates his clothes says they dont fit right his socks hurt he screams and yells it takes me forever to get him dressed.
what can i do??Is it normal for a child to have issues on what he wears i talk to other moms and there child doesnt care about clothes and doesnt have a problem like me. Im at my witts end. I send him to his room and tell him when he stops yelling and screaming and put clothes on he can come downstairs. please help me...
Dont dress him he is 4 years old let him do it himself, children do not like being rushed more tantrums are created in the mornings because Moms think its okay to get the children up rush them around ,eating is panicked ,so is dressing and cleaning teeth, thats another hassle ,so get up earlier, have his clothes laid out and let him do it,I suspect you are probably running late sometimes and a lot of chunnering goes on ,so try backing off ,get up , all is quiet, let him get dressed, you can actually make a game of it by telling him you know of other children that can get dressed in 10 mins but you think he can beat that record, then you get on with your own ablutions. same with breakfast put the food out and let him eat at his own pace.Set the clock for a half hour earlier it will be worth it ...
I should said,He does get himself dressed. I tryed to lay his cloths out and that didnt help. Know i let him get his own cloths and that doesnt help. Im a stay at home mom and we get up at 6 in the morning he has Headstart at 8:30 so he has plunty of time to have breakfast and get dressed. I just dont know what else to do. Im at witts end.
thank you for your sergestion. April
My son has sensory integration disorder which is a developmental delay of his nervous system.  He has "tactile" touch issues.  Socks are one of the worst offenders.  He can feel the seems at the toes and they bug him to the point he wants them OFF!!!  High neck shirts or zip up pj's----  no way.  Tags on his back----  no way.  I'm guessing your child has some sensory issues (it is ONLY a disorder if a child can not function well when needed----  mine had issues at preschool that made this clear).  Google sensory integration disorder and "tactile defensiveness".  

I try to be very undersanding about it-----  the fact that these things bother him is real.  I do as Margypops says (good advice) and make sure we have plenty of time and I listen to his reactions to things and respond.  They make t shirts without tags now, same with underwear.  That is all I buy.  I make sure material is soft and cuddly.  Socks----  well, he has to wear them.  But I buy Hanes which only has one seam and he only wears socks when he has to leave the house in shoes.  His shoes are always shoes he loves so he isn't upset about putting the shoes on and now puts his socks on without any issue.  My son just turned 6.  

At head start, ask about an Occupational therapist evaluation for sensory.  They then can start to do something called "brushing" and "joing compressions" which takes about 3 minutes to complete that helps with the nervous system making it calm down.

(issue is that your son's nervous system is oversensative and his nerve endings are feeling things the rest of us don't-----  very uncomfortable and maybe even painful).

Good luck.  
You hit it right on. My son hates socks  the seems bother him so bad he starts to scream and hell throws things. and the one piece pjs he wont wear says theres a bunch down by him privates. I will defently talk to headstart about it. thank you so much...
Well good luck.  Let us know how it goes and if you ever need any tips on sensory---  let me know!  Take care and good luck.
Thank you so much for the info. I will let you know how it goes...