Child Behavior Expert Forum
constant small humming sounds in my 7 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 7 year old started making repetitive sounds while reading, watching tv, playing on the computer etc. Sometimes the noises are short hums and other times it's almost as if he's saying umm hmm- over and over. Awhile ago it was almost a purring sound that would even come out even as he was talking. When asked about the noises he says he cannot help it. They seem to be involuntaty and heighted when he is distracted by other things.
This could be entirely normal and nothing to worry about. The only concern might be a vocal tic, but it really doesn't sound it.