Child Behavior Expert Forum
crack addicted babies

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

crack addicted babies

i have a two year old toddler from foster care,both parents did crack cocaine and drank heavily all through the pregnancy,he is a very angry child and seems to go off for no apparent reason,any type of timeout or dicipline mean nothing to him he will actually laugh at you, no means nothing to him ,can you please tell me how much effect these drugs could have on him and what more to expect,in the future,thank you
Dear Kaye,

It's quite possible that this child has been affected neurologically by the substances his biological mother used during her pregnancy with him. It's not unusual for such children to develop so-called neuro-behavioral disorders, i.e., dysfunction of behavior that has its origin in damage to the central nervous system. In particular, impulsivity and emotional dyscontrol can typify such youngsters.

However, it's also important to recognize that the early parenting experiences can leave a child disorganized and in poor behavioral control.

The best you can do now is offer an atentive, caring, structured, well-supervised home environment for this child. Consistent limit-setting will help to improve impulsivity and dyscontrol, regardless of its origin. Later, it may be necessary to use medication, but it's premature to say so at this point.
I am a foster parent of a one year old girl who was tested positive at birth to crack/cocaine. I have had her since she was 9 days old. What could be the possibilities of her not bonding with others if she was to be adopted. At this moment she is very secure with me, I would like to have a life time commitment to her. What other things should I be aware of for the future.
I am a mother of a crack addicted baby.  She has been placed in temporary foster care.  From what I understand, my daughter can grow up a slow learner, behavioral problems, won't be able to tolerate alot of stimulation, and can have some heart and neurological problems.  Alot has to do with whether the mother had prenatal care, took vitamins, ate a balanced diet, and the weight of the infant.  I had went to a majority of my        prenatal appointments, ate healthy, and took vitamins.  She came out 7 lbs and 14 ozs.  I did crack regularly the first 3 mos.  I stopped for 3 mos and continued using 2-3x a week. I used the day before I delivered so she tested positive for cocaine.  I am grateful to say she hasn't went through any withdraws, is growing at the right pace, and is enjoying every bit of life. She is 2 1/2 mos.  As time goes on, if there is anything new that should happen to develop I will be more than happy to share it with eveyone because I believe God took care of her while she was in my womb.
I hope that Robin knows that her child may suffer permanently for her carelessness.  She should never know what happens to that child because she should be taken away and given to someone who gives a damn.
It makes me really sad to know that there are women out there that take drugs while they are pregnant.  They should know better.  Please remember that the little baby inside of a mother depends totally on her for surviving.  If any woman is pregnant, please don't use any dangerous drugs or alcohol.