creative and unfocused child
My middle son is 7yrs old and in the first grade. While our whole family has struggled with a divorce this year he has struggled the most.  He is very bright but school has become a challenge due to his inability to control his impulses.  He turns in homework with pictures drawn instead of answers, shouts out silly answers to the teachers questions when called on and is generally unfocused.  He is not really disruptive to the class and generally is content to just doodle on his desk or paper.  He has been in speech therapy since Kindergarten but has not seen any improvement.  He isolates himself from his peers. He would rather play by himself inside then go out and play at recess. His teacher wants to hold him back this year not because of his grades but because of his maturity level. Any ideas?  
I agree, he should see a psychologist... to rule out conditions if nothing else.  More information would be helpful.  You say he's content doodling on his paper or desk, does he actively participate in school? Is he in a regular class or a special class for his speech or any other problems he might have?