Child Behavior Expert Forum
cruel behavior

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

cruel behavior

I am having a hard time dealing with one of my daughters closest friends. They are both three and a half and have been playing together for three years now. during the last 5 months her friend has become more and more aggresive (aggressive) with her. She seems to delight in making my daughter cry. She says mean and hurtful things to my daughter and then seems very satisfied when she cries. She will then try and say worse things to make my daughter keep crying after I have settled my daughter down. It is very creepy. My husband and I are very close friends with this childs parents and they have tried to control their daughters behavior. It does not work. Last night she whipped my daughter in the eye with a belt. It was unprovoked and just plain violent. Instead of feeling sorry for what she had done she looked and my daughters eye swelling as if satisfied. Then while I was putting ice on my daughters eye she began hitting my daughter with a pillow insisting that she HAD to sit right where my daughter was. I left and decided I do not want my daughter around her ever again. Is that the wrong thing to do? Will I make my daughter feel she has done something wrong? I realize kids hit when they are at a loss for the words to express themselves. It is the creepy lack of remorse and strange satifaction that has me alarmed. What do I do?
Your first and foremost responsibility is the safety of your daughter. If close supervision cannot interrupt the unsafe behavior of her friend, it is sensible to interrupt the contact for now. This does not necessarily mean that this situation will last forever, but time will tell. This sort of situation can be particularly uncomfortable when the other child's parents are friends, as in your case. But, uncomforatble as it is, it is not a good idea to expose your daughter to the aggressive behavior of the friend.