Child Behavior Community
crying during preschool drop off

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

crying during preschool drop off

My 3 year old son has been going to preschool for 9 months now and cries when I drop him off.  It was pretty bad for the first three months, then after winter break we started a goodby routine which seemed to work great.  Now, after spring break it started all over again and he has a meltdown when I start to leave.  He also has a real hard time being social with the other kids.  The teacher even commented that he has never played with any of the children all year.  He seems to be much better with one or two children.  Is he  feeling overwhelmed in the class with 12 kids?  Should I find a different school with fewer children?  He is an only child, I am a stay at home mom and he is great around older kids.  How can I get him envolved playing and having fun at school?  He will be going to preschool 3 days a week next year and worry that he will dread going at all.  
It is not that unusual for 3 year olds-- and for some 4 year olds- to not be ready for the big wide open spaces and faces associated with preschool. If he is crying all the time-- I would say he does not like it- and you should not send him if you don't have to. You could find a smaller play group for him to work on socializing-- that is if he even enjoys it. Not going to a formal preschool program really won't damage him- its not needed.
Three year old little boys go through a stage of being extremely attached to their mom.  
We always try to keep our good-bye short and sweet.  Even if he looks worried, grin and wave.  My friend has a little boy (age three) who has anxiety attacks when she leaves him with anyone, regardless of the size of the class.  Her doctor told her to leave him at daycare for a short time (15 minutes), until he realizes you are coming back and doesn't throw a fit.  Then increase the time to 30 min, etc.

Good luck and God bless.
I would just keep him home.  He's only 3   : (  He's not ready for it - why push him?  
You could keep him home but I know that you may need a few days a week  for yourself for other things and in that case I suggest a home daycare where there are fewer children and more one on one interaction/attention that he's grown accustomed to.
My son cries when me or my wife drop him off at pre-k. but teachers say after we leave he is fine,he looks worried on his way to school. I try to cheer him up so he can keep his mind off school, but,i can still see he is worried. i know he is very shy, sometimes at family gatherings he covers his eyes so nobody can see him, he knows everyone there!! i hope he can over come this!!