cuticle biting
My child is 18 and getting ready to go to college.  I have noticed in the past year he has had the habit of biting his cuticles to the point of cracking, bleeding and inability to heal from constant picking or chewing.  Is this a normal nervous reaction that is just fleeting or should I be concerned?  I read some articles re: this and recall in his youth he seemed to like having something in his mouth alot like pens or caps, necklaces or metal chains, erasers, or whatever he would pick up.  I would tell his the hazards of germs but he never listened.  Just curious of whether I should be concerned.  Thanx

This discussion is related to obsessive chewing.
He could be extra sensitive at going to College and something new in his life, it is a hard habit to break,once hes there maybe meeting girls and new friends he will realise it doesnt look too good. Have you asked him , he probably says" I Dunno "  I have heard of nail biting so many times, it does start young and very often they get out of it , then at a nervous time   ie college and the unknown looming,it rears its ugly head again. I wouldnt make a big deal of it ,its his nails that look a mess.