Child Behavior Expert Forum
dexadrine

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

dexadrine

Last yr. my son was kicked out of kindergarden three times for his behavior. Close to the end of the school yr. his doc. told me he was ADHD. We tried the ritalin, but because i was uncomfortable giving him that drug we changed over to the dexadrine. when i got the RX filled it was called "Dextrostat". i assumed that was the ganeric name for it. The last couple wks. of school was great. There was such a improvment with him on the meds. He had the whole summer off from the meds. and now this week since school will be starting soon, i started to give the meds to him again. But now he seems to cry alot more then what he did before. Could this be a side effect?? why is he crying more now on the meds then he did before when he took them?? And what are the effects of giving him this drug going to do to him in the long run?? Will he have problams after he is old enough to make decisions for himself and decides not to take them anymore?? I hate to medicate him everyday, but i think this is the only way he is going to make it though school. Do teachers have special trainning on dealing with kids with ADHD???
Dear Jenn,

Yes, a side effect of stimulant medications (like Ritalin and Dexedrine) can be emotional lability, sensitivity, crying. It was a good idea to start him up again on the medication before school actually starts, so his body can adjust to it.

Sometimes, if children cry easily as a side effect of stimulant meds, and they are taking the short-acting form, they will be more stable on the longer acting forms (such as Ritalin SR or Dexedrine spansules). No change is really indicated at this point. Give him time to adjust, and see if the effect wanes (if indeed it is due to the medication).

You probably needn't worry about the long-term problems you mentioned. There's no indication, after many years of experience with the stimulant medications, that they result in the kinds of difficulties you mentioned.