Child Behavior Expert Forum
diabetes

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

diabetes

I have a 10yr old son who generally has good behavior, however, it seems that when he goes for long periods of time without eating he becomes a "monster",(aggressive, angry, unreasonable...). After he eats the "monster" side of him seems to subside within 15-20 minutes of eating.
Is this a sign of diabetes?
No, your son's behavior is not necessarily a sign of any medical problem. People react in different fashions to 'low blood sugar', and children not infrequently become easily frustrated, hypersensitive and irritable when their bodies require some nourishment. So, I don't believe there's any cause for alarm - it sounds like your son is a typical child in this regard. It wouldn't hurt to talk with your son's pediatrician and get his/her thoughts. Let us know how you make out. Dr. KDK