Child Behavior Expert Forum
does my son have separation anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

does my son have separation anxiety
My son is six year old, I think he may have separation anxiety  because of the way he reacts when I am not near him, when he was three he started preschool but spend the first  few weeks he spent it  under the table the teacher said leave him when he is ready he will come out. He eventually did. But these days I can’t go anywhere, his baby sister just turn two so I decide I could leave them with the nanny and  go out for my birthday, when I left  he cried for almost an hour before he fell asleep. He is six why does he do that, and when I came home he did not want to talk to me. When I leave to go to work he does not react like that. Only when is someplace I am going new he expects me to carry him everywhere but I can’t. If he does have separation anxiety what can I do to help him with this situation.
Yes, he does display a degree of separation anxiety beyond the norm for his age. However, as long as he is meeting the normal challenges for his age in school and among peers (including participating in recreational activities), you needn't intervene. He will become incresingly able to weather the absences as he develops.
thank you kevin