Child Behavior Expert Forum
dyspraxia

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

dyspraxia

I am concerned that my 6.5 yr old DS may have dyspraxia. He has had poor concentration since he started school and it was noted last year that his gross motor interaction needed some attention. At the time it was recommended that he see an OT and SALT , the SALT to help with his listening skills. He was seen by them but they decided that it was his gross motor skills that needed attention as they claimed that he had to put a lot of processing into his physical movements and there was not enough left to process other information coming in. I was told that the problem was in his core trunk area So he has had some physio sessions. He has always been a bit clumsy in that his spatial awareness, depth perception and motor planning has not been great. He bumps into people quite a bit and his balance is probably not as good as his peers. He finds it difficult to get comfortable on a seat but is not hyperactive if that makes sense. He finds it difficult to follow lots of instructions and his organisation skills are not great.His vocabulary is great but the speed at which he would retell a story is sluggish as his mind seems to be going quicker than his mouth. However he can ride a bike without stableisers, can hop and jump etc. He was not late doing these things either. His fine motor skills are OK, not above average but I would suspect in the normal range. His handwriting is ok, a bit immature but again I would thnk not cause for concern. His spelling is good . His reading is quite slow and laborious.His practical maths skills are ok but getting it on paper is a problem He seems to have some of the symptoms of dyspraxia but am unsure if you could be dyspraxic and able to do things like ride a bike, swim, fine motor skills being ok. I would have thought that the Physio , OT etc would have mentioned Dyspraxia at this stage.
The term dyspraxia could well be used to describe your son's difficulties. Unlike terms that decribe a condition for which everyone displays the same symptoms, dyspraxia is more of an 'umbrella' term that can be employed to describe any number of conditions that refer to motor planning and execution. My guess is that, if you asked your son's providers if dyspraxia is a reasonable term to describe some of your son's problems, they would say that it is indeed reasonable.
I have a 5 year old grandson that I have full coustody of sincehe was 2 months old .I Have taken him to the Marcus Inst. for testing they diganosed him with ADHD combined type as well as Expressive language disorder,Sensory intergraton and Developmental Coordination disorderHe takes Meds to control the ADHD and is pretty well under control with them .Although these are his diganoses I can help but think there is more going on with his muscles .Every morning he wakes so weak that he is shaky and unable to stand .He can't dress himself and his weakness is so bad that I usually have to carry him.He is very unstable and has terrible trouble with the stairs getting on the school bus.He often complains with pain in his legs.Should I have more test done or do you think this is simply developmental coordination disorder? I had him tested for Cerbral Paalsy when he was two because of this weakness and not starting to walk until way past 2 years old.It was negitive .Is there anything else  I should have him tested for ?
A related discussion, Duspraxia of the legs?? was started.