Child Behavior Community
emotional problems in 5 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

emotional problems in 5 year old

Hi! My son just turned 5 so he is able to go to kindergarten next year. He is in preschool and he is doing fine academically. His teacher said he  cannot control his emotions and she feels he is no way ready to go to kindergarten next year! He has always been behind in things and we do know that he gets very frustrated easily and he is very emotional. He still has issues with sharing and waiting his turn. What should I do? I do not want to send him into school and be so overwhelmed that it makes the frustration worse. If I hold him back he will turn 7 during kindergarten and I am afraid he might turn to aggressiveness because of boredom or being almost 2 years older! He lacks in skills that most kids in his class are doing. He has been tested and we were told it is a maturity thing and he will grow out of it. I have been dealing with these problems since he was 2 and I feel like we are in a hole and cant get out! Please give me some advice!!
I'm sorry I don't have alot of advise for you, but I can relate to some of what you're saying.  My Son is 4 1/2 & will turn 5 next summer.  Just in time for Fall Kindergarten.  I'm hoping he can attend.  Academically he's ready I believe.  He's pretty smart!  But like your Son my Son also has issues w/emotions & frustration.  He's going to be tested for Autism next week, which I feel is going to come out negative since I firmly believe his issues are related to how he deals w/frustration & emotions.  I also made an appt for him to see a child therapist who I'm hoping can help my Husband & myself to be able to guide my Son correctly.  We just want to be sure WE are doing everything we can to help him.  I have a feeling we'll be told that it's a maturity thing as well.  I'd welcome that over a medical or behavorial diagnosis.  But then again I need some help in how I deal w/him.  I'm very hesitant to hold my Son back as well.  I started school when I was 6 yrs old & it always bothered me that I was older than the other kids.  I don't want my Son to go thru that if at all possible.  His Preschool teacher says that right now he's not ready for Kindergarten, but that is still months away & he could mature enough betwen now & then to be able to attend.  Like you I hate to put him in & then have it blow up because of how he deals w/frustration & such.  I'm not exactly sure what to do either.  I wish you the best of luck.  And just know that you're not alone!