forgetfulness and zoning out in 6 year old
My daughter just turned 6 and in the last few months we have been noticing some behavioral issues that are very concerning.  It almost seemed as though she couldn't distinguish between reality and imagination, wondering if what she thought of may have actually happened.  An example of this, she would say "I don't know if I picked up that baby" referring to a stranger at the store, or "I don't know if I drank that water" referring to the water that had gathered in a rotted out pumpkin.  Very outlandish comments, but she really wasn't sure if it had happened or not.  In the last month or so she started saying she couldn't remember things she just did, such as brushing her teeth, or wiping or finishing her meal.  She will go up to brush her teeth and I will see her brushing, but she is confused after and doesn't know if she actually did it.

Her teacher hasn't noticed anything as severe as this at school, but she did say that my daughter "zones out" at school at least few times a week, to where she will have to pull her back in to get her focusing again.  I mentioned this to her ped. and she wants to follow up in a few weeks and suggested ordering thyroid tests or possibly a mental evaluation.  It has been very scary to watch some of these behaviors and I am hoping that it is just a phase.  Just hoping I might be able to get some advice until then, because I haven't been able to find much about this online.