Child Behavior Community
four month old wont eat much

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

four month old wont eat much

my four month old has been not eating that good for the past two days he has been refusing the breast he sucks for a like a minute and then starts to cry. i just got me bc change to Ogestrel a wk ago. i am wondering if maybe my milk supply has gone down, maybe thats the cause for him not wanting to eat. i have tryed giving him a bottle and he drinks a little bit but still isnt much he drinks under a ounce. i am worried that hes not getting enough. what do i do. i feed him baby cereal twice a day once in the morning and in the night. he eats really good on that but when it comes to breast feeding he gets fussy. in the morings he is good but towards the afternoon to night he gets fussy and not wanting anything. please help me understand what he is doing.
ksanden
it sounds like your breast milk has started to dry up. I had the came problem with my son at 1 month. I ended up using formula. Have you taken him to the doctors to see if he has some kind of infection in the throat?
no he doesnt have any infections i thought trush (thrush) but theres nothing there.. when you start to dry up does this happen to a child?
ksanden
what do you mean by, when you start to dry up does this happen to the child
when u start to dry up what does the child do? and how do u really no you are drying up?
sorry about that..
ksanden
Hi ksanden, I replied to you on the relationship forum but wanted to add here that usually, by nature, you would not dry up if there is still demand. It`s a demand and supply system, you produce as much as the sucking of the baby signals the breasts - or rather the brain. Even after the baby weans himself, the breasts continue to produce milk for weeks. But if a lot of feedings are supplemented with either solid foods or bottle feedings, the breasts will not get that signal to produce more milk and then the milk supply may indeed go down. Just increase the nursing time and usually a day or two later you will see the supply goes up. And if that`s not possible, try pumping again - I know you said it doesn`t produce much but experiment with it. If you get to the let-down reflex when the milk starts flowing freely, you`ve made it. If you are stressed and tired or dehydrated, it may be diffiult to relax but with some patience it will work. Your baby is not losing weight, is he?
no my son isnt loosing weight he is small he is 15 % on the charts but he had gained weight when he was born he weighed 5lbs 7 ounces and he is four months now weighing 13 lbs. he is a peanut
thanks for helping it means alot. i was scared that he was trying to wean himself but now i no hes not and it mostlely teething i feel alot better.i think for a few days i will stop the cereal to get my supply back up and see what happens there or else durning the feedings cereal pump and see if that helps also.. thanks alot. im not sure at times what all is going on when it comes to this. thanks
ksanden
Me once more - I think your other post on the relationship forum disappeared with all its comments. I wrote that where I live, the larger hospitals have LaLecheLeague counselors. Those guys sometimes diagnose breastfeeding problems over the phone and give really great advice. Good luck!
Birth control pills can make the milk go down. Just keep him at the breast. Try fenugreek, you can get it at any health food store, it will increase your milk supply.

BTW, the new recommendation for solids is 6 months. Starting him at 4 months can possibly harm his digestive track and can result in allergies in the future.
He doesn't need the cereal, formula and breastmilk have everything he needs, cereal doesn't have much of anything, it's just a safe starter to introduce solids.
I say right now, nurse him before he gets hungry, he will be calmer to stay there, after he's been on for a while top him up with formula. Don't do formula first.

Do you leak milk when he cries for food?
and I'm not really encouraging formula, but of course if he's still hungry you should give him something else, and formula is better than the cereal. Only top up until your milk is back full force.
Take trailanderrors advice, she's got a good way with words lol
thanks Trialanderror. i dont no where any placve is to call i live in a very small town how do i find a number?

sweetmamajen, i have fed him all day and have not gave him any cereal by was he mad at me when it came to us eating dinner he nos he uselly gets feed and he didnt this time hes got a bad temper. lol he gets that from daddy hehe. i would love to try to use a bottle with him but he has never took one he is a tiddy boy. today i no my milk is back up i just think i wasnt feeding him much because of giving him cereal. hes still fussy and i call the doc today and he said he most likely him teething and to give him teething gel so hopefully tomorrow will be well.. thanks for everything ladies you were all very much helpful..
ksanden
Hi ksanden, I googled LaLeche League Minnesota and it shows the LLL USA web page with a note to call for referral to the nearest LaLeche group: number "six-one-two -  nine-two-two - four-nine-nine-six". It can all be done by phone - and those La Leche League members are simply other mothers who have lots of experience with breastfeeding. So you don`t even have to search for a hospital if you live way out in the boonies... :) Glad there is some improvement already. If your son is really mad when he watches all of you eating dinner, I would give him at least a spoon to chew on and since you have started the cereal anyway. Maybe some dabs of it. But as sweetmamajen said, important to always breastfeed before the solids and not reversed. Good luck and now I`ll be quiet...
thanks so much i really do apprecate it alot...
ksanden