Child Behavior Community
four year old out of control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

four year old out of control

I have two daughters one is eight the other is 4 and a half.. No problems with the eight year old. I think we have been spoiled by her. The four year old on the other hand is having behavior problems at home and at school. At the beginning of the schoiol year (K-4) she was in a new school and she started wetting her pants during the day something she had not done in a while. she would have problems obeying everything the teacher said but some days shge would listen and she would be really good for a couple of days and than mess up one or two days. Now she is really bad every day no matter how we punish her or give her things for good behavior. She yells at the teacher and throws stuff. This is ruining our whole lives. I can not take this much longer. I do not know what to do.

My heart goes out to you.  I deal with children like this at school.  The youngest I have is kindergarten, though.  It sounds like your daughter has a lot of anxiety over this new school.  Is her teacher very nurturing?  Kids this age need quick reinforcements for good behavior.  They can't wait all day.  I often use M&M's to reinforce walking properly in line, sitting in their spots correctly, etc.  It is amazing what a child will do for an M&M.  If quick reinforcements don't work, maybe an alternative campus/class that focuses on behavior may be the key.  Good luck and God bless.