frustrated with my daughter!
my daughter isnt so much defiant, i will tell her to do something and she will stare at me as if she doesnt understand the language im speaking! its not just in the morning i have a problem its all day long! i tell her to do something or there will be repercussions. seh says ok and is on her way to do them but when she says she done or i check on her she has not even started the task! shes about to be 6 and i have done the time out, taking her world away and non of it seems to phase her! im just at my whits end with her. im a very consistent parent my kids are very well behaved, shes a mold student in school at her friends house, in front of company etc., just a whole another story at home privately.and this start about 9 months also? i dont know what to do .....help! thanx lindsey

This discussion is related to 9 year old daughter can't follow directions.
This started at 9 months old or it started 9 months ago? Have you tried a reward system with her? I have a son who has difficulty with his behavior due to health issues and medications. But I still treat him like my other kids. I still have the same expectations of him as I do with my other children. He gets punished for bad behavior but also gets rewarded for his good behavior as well. This seems to work with him and I am betting that it will work with just about any child. I also have a 10 year old daughter. Anytime I ask her to do something like dishes or cleaning her room, she will sometimes defy me and not do it. She has told me that she wants to be able to do these types of things with me and would rather not do it on her own. She does do these things on her own for the most part but there are a few days of the week that I'll help her and that's where we get our time together mostly. I think that the selective hearing thing goes with the age of children. It gets worse as they get older. Have you spoke to her about this issue? It sounds like she is doing this to get attention. With kids, whether it is good or bad attention, they'll do anything to get your attention. Are you able to spend individual time with each of your children? This maybe the cause of her actions. If you ever feel like talking, I'm always on here. Good luck and take care. And remember, pick your battles and stand strong. Ask her what she is thinking. Ask her how she is feeling and why. Get the whole story.