Child Behavior Community
hears voices

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

hears voices

my son has just turned 10 and yesterday he told me he hears voices which he can hear at any time and at night he see's people. he started hearing voices on and off awhile back but it happens alot more now and seening them has only happened in the last few weeks he didnt tell me straight away as he hoped it would go away. i'm really not sure what to do. he said they tell him to do bold things eg. hurt me and his dad, sneak out of the house say nasty things a just a few. when he won't do what they want they say they will hurt him or one of us ( i have 3 other children). i've asked him what it sounds like when they talk ro him and he said it's just like when i talk to him and not like when you would talk to yourself in your head. the poor thing is getting really scared with it all. i told him to tell them to go away and ignore them if he hears them which he did last night and now he said they've now got louder and he now has a heaedache from them screaming at him. after he told us yesterday he said the got angry at him, wanting to know why he told their secret. it only happens when he's on his own. i'm really worried i don't know what to do. it's every parents worse nightmare to think something like this is wrong with their child. i'm wishing with all my heart that he's lying to me but the way he tells it makes me think he's not. any help would be grateful
I would take him to the doctor definitely to get him checked out, especially as he says the voices are telling him to do harmful things.
Has your child ever had any previous phsyciactric problems? If not, he is obviously needing your help. Take him to the doctor, see if he can get a cat scan. Make sure you and your son keep open communication over this. If there is nothing wrong with him mentally and he still see's people and they're coming into his room at night, I do not know where your belief lies, but I would  recommend a priest or maybe even a ghost hunter to your house. When a perfectly healthy son is suddenly having problems such as these it may be more than a psycological problem. But in the meantime, I wouldn't let him be alone if he only sees "people" by himself. See if he would agree to sleep in another room with either you and your husband or one of his siblings.
I have read about children that were experiencing the same things as your son. Thought you might want to read the information to get some insight as to what the symptoms could be, the website is  "www.schizophrenia.com/family/childszsym.htm    
Please do not let the title of the website scare you, they discuss all possible things that could cause the symptoms your son is experiencing.
I am so sorry that he is going through this,and  hopefully he can get some peace soon.

Take care  
speak w/ your PREIST!!!!!!! Schizo does not USUALLY appear this early, and it is very eerie that from doing a simple search, completely unrelated to this topic, how MANY VERY similar posts from parents dealing w/ the SAME horrifying issue as you. Please keep us posted & I will keep your son & all of the other children I've read about in my prayers!
My daughter had bipolar at that age and was hearing voices and later started seeing things and hearing voices. It was years before she told us what was wrong. She got put on some meds that helped a lot and we also did take her to our Priest. She is doing well now. Keep turning over rocks until you find out what is wrong. Tell your son he is brave for telling you. Many children do not. My daughter took years. On girl I know went to the ER many many times with the eraser end of a pencil stuck in her ear trying to make the voices stop. She never told people why she stuck the pencils in her ear though
debby,  these are serious psychiatric symptoms.  Please don't waste time hoping he's "lying" or being afraid to act.  

First thing tomorrow,  call your pediatrician and ask where to go from there.

Best wishes.
Sorry,  I just realized this original question is 5 years old.