Child Behavior Community
how do i get my 1yr old dauhter to sleep through the night?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 1st daughter is 1 and she still wont sleep through the night. she wakes up 2 times in the night crying. We either give her a bottle or put her in bed with us. How do i get her to sleep through the night? Ive tried baths before bed, playtime,and getting her full... but nothing i try seems to work
it can be a long process... I had to learn the hard way that when they cry at night if nothing is really wrong with them you need to just let them be... Oldest is now 12 and she just would not sleep... I finally figured out that she just wanted to be with me in my bed.... bad Idea trust me... My pediatrician said to check on her when she crys and that she does not need anything and just let her cry... it was hard and lots of sleepless nights.. but once she figured out that she was not going to get into bed with me she started sleeping threw the night.. I also cut down on her naps during the day and made sure that she did not have one late in the evening.... I hope this helps... good luck
I agree completely. You should wait about 5 min after she starts crying then go in and reassure her everything is ok say goodnight, kisses, lay her back down then leave her. This time waiting 10 min or so before  going back in then 15 and so on. Whatever you do do not pick her up and do not put her in your bed giving her a bottle is up to you, its not good but up to you. Actually I would work on throwing the out the bottle after you get the sleeping all night accomplished, just my opinion. It will be hard and im sure very hard at 3am but just be patient know she is ok and it isnt hurting her. Trust me it will pay off. I tried a similar technique although it did work, I would have to go outside while i let him cry because it broke my heart to hear him and i cried as well. I felt horable for doing this to my baby, but he figured it out and it was so much better for us all.  goodluck
I'm going to recommend a book that walks you through the steps of this process.  It is by Furbher and he is the guru that gets kids to sleep through the night.  Furbherizing is a common term around my neighborhood!  

One of the things that I think is really helpful is having your little one learn to fall asleep on their own.  You would try it at nap time.  When they are dozy and super tired, try laying them down in their bed by themselves.  Not asleep yet but tired.  What happens at night is a baby wakes up as we all do during the night but they don't know how to get themselves back to sleep.  If we are always rocking them to sleep, feeding them to sleep, just being there---------  they expect that when they wake up in the middle of the night too.  Now don't get me wrong, rocking my babies to sleep was a great joy to me . . . so I did that.  But  I also made an effort to about half the time slip them in bed awake but super tired.  

Feed them really well at bed time.  And you hear them cry.  You go in and don't talk or get them out of bed.  They will cry for you to do so.  You pat them, reassure them, say night night and leave.  They cry harder.  You stay out of the room.  This killed me. I do not like to hear my kids cry----------  but knew it was for their own good.  They aren't hungry----------  they just want me out of habit.  If they got hysterical, I'd go back in and do the same patting, say night night and leave.  Do not get them out of bed.  Make any intervals that you comfort, pat farther and farther apart.  I will tell you that it took me one week.  It was a long week!  But it is all it took and my son never woke at night again unless he was ill.  Well, lets say he wakes but does not need me any longer.  

Please look for the author Furbher and check out his book.  It was recommended to me by my pediatrician and I know dozens of people that have used the method.  Good luck!
Oh  my goodness.  I just noticed that you have a one month as well as a one year old.  I feel your pain----------  my boys are 15 months apart.  Yes, you must get child number one sleeping through the night for your sanity!!  Furber !!!!  
Yea i kno...its not easy but i need 2 het my 1st one sleeping 1st..my one month old is alredy doing good at night, she sleeps for 5 hrs 1st n then the rest of the morning is every three hrs :)
I know its been awhile, but i am experiancing this same prob rite now with my 1yr old son. He keeps waking up around 2am. I have read all of your post and I am trying the self soothe method. Yes its hard to hear him cry but I know its in his best interest. I never had to worry about this with my first who is now 8. He was the kind of baby who was comfortable and trasistioned very easily on his own. By 9mths old he was sleeping comepletly thru the nite from 9pm to about 6am. Thank You for all the help.