Child Behavior Community
how do you treat anxiety/excessive masturbation in children

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I  recognize that a 5 year old female child who is excessively masturbating in the classroom and occasionally at home is probably displaying anxiety, however, this behavior seems to be linked to nothing.  She does it when anxious and when calm and happy.  She can be anxious and not do it.  How do you approach treating this.  We have tried behavior mod, telling her to put her hands on the desk when the urge hits, stand up, or go to the teacher's desk and work there, but the distraction only works for a short time. When she returns to her desk, or comfortable place in the house, she picks right up again.  

This discussion is related to mood swings, masterbation (masturbation) in classroom, nightmares, rages, persistant cough.
It is unusual for a 5 year old girl to continue this behavior in class in spite of teacher admonition to desist. Have you had her evaluated to understand the origins and persistence of this behavior. Anxiety is only only possible source. I would think this is not an isolated behavioral problem. How is this girl functioning across all developmental domains?
otherwise developmentally typical, however, she struggles with toileting.  Particularly re: moving her bowels.   She seems to hold back, although she is happy and proud of herself when she does go.  She also wets the bed at night, but I believe this is due to fears at night and refusal to get out of bed and physically get to the bathroom. She is waking and aware of the need to go.
Consider counseling to help her deal with her anxiety
Do you know if she has been sexualy abused?
As someone who was as a child myself, some of what you described sounds familiar.
I have a 10 year old step daughter and she does this in class,and i been reading a lot of stuff and thinking it is because she has no friends that she just dont think to high of her self and im at the end and need help because i have 3 kids and she has done acted on my baby.she dont do this with boys only girls.but her mom thinks nothing of it but i think something is really wrong any advice
I would take her in to the doctors and have her examined. Since your daughter will only experiement with females, try and get her in with a female doctor.  That way your daughter feels a little comfortable.  Maybe by some chance your daughter is having feelings females and this is her way of dealing with it.  This is just a suggestion, I'm just throwing ideas out there. . . .