Child Behavior Community
how to get 5 year old in her own bed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

how to get 5 year old in her own bed

My 5 year old refuses to sleep in her own bed. She is always wanting to sleep in bed with me, and I have always given in.  This has made my partner sleep on the couch, thus putting strain on our relationship.  How can I get her to go? SHe throws fits and screams when I try to get her in her own bed.  I am losing my marriage over this....
So tonight you tell your Husband he can sleep in his own Bed with you, talk to your daughter and explain that he is going to sleep with you and she has to sleep in her own Bed, Dont say this too many hours ahead or you will be in for a "Hair Raising" evening, When it is her Bedtime take her to her Room and get out some books , read one or two to her, then tuck her in and leave the room, she will yell and you will have to plug up your ears, if she comes out of her Room, take her Back, do not yell or say anything other than goodnight etc, keep doing this till she knows you mean it , be consistant, she only does this because you have allowed it, after a few Rambustuous nights she will be okay and you" have a Happy Loving 'Hubby" Back!
all i can say is good luck my fiance still allows her 12 yr old son almost 13 to sleep with her and he has no intention of going to his own room he has made the comment several times to me that its none of my business that he will sleep with her untill he is 18 if he wants she always tells me shes working on it but nothing ever happens he pretty much rules the house and she lets him get by with it
margypops is absolutely correct.  She has probably watched many episodes of Nanny on television where this very subject has come up time and time again.  The parents are told EXACTLY what margypops advised you to do.  Don't yell at the child, just calmly put her back in her own bed.  

On television, the couples typically do this about TWENTY times over the course of SEVERAL hours until the child finally has had enough of her own kicking and screaming and finally falls asleep in her own bed.  Then this is all repeated the next night.  And the next.  But eventually she will get the message that she WON'T win in this situation.

But remember - don't yell back at her.  don't spank her.  Just explain calmly that children need to sleep in their own beds.  And keep putting her back in there.

You probably ought to start doing this on a Friday night and be prepared to stay up LATE until the child eventually falls asleep in her own bed.
, No not too many episodes,of Nanny,  its mostly common sense  and many years experience with children.to KP9  Ask you Fiancee to do the same thing, ask her why?