Child Behavior Expert Forum
i am so so worried about my 7 year old son. please help me

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a 7 year old son who has had some serious behavior problems in school. He has always been an "A" student his teachers love him. However he is faced with the fact that he can’t stop talking to students in his class. He argues with them because he says that they hate him and pick on him. he is very impulsive and does not listen to his teacher or me at times unless she gives him private attention. I know that he is hyper but does he have ADHD Today he tells me that he is hearing voices or hearing people call his name and that he is not able to concentrate because of that. He is also saying that he sees faces in his room and that he has bad dreams of dying. He is so worried that he is going to die like the people in the movies or shows. We are pretty strick without children and we believe that in this day and age you must make sure that your kids respect you. However we have never been physically abusive. I am a yeller and I know that it’s wrong to be this way but I just can’t control my mouth at times. I know that he is like this because of me and all the bad things that I say to him. So if you guys want to call me all kinds of stuff I totally understand. He says that he is worried that I am going to leave and that his father is not proud of him. He says that he is trying his best but that he belongs in a mental hospital. I tell him that he is not crazy that it’s normal to feel that your head is talking to you but that I was going to ask a doctor. He says that I make him feel bad when I tell him bad things about himself. I am such a bad parent I really need help. He always wants attention from both of us. My husband goes out with him and takes him to guitar lessons. I feel like I am the problem how can I fix what I have done. He does not want me to take him to the doctor so I just don’t know what to do. Should I take him to a psychologist or what? I am sure that I am most of the reason for his anxiety but I just don’t know how to turn back the hands of time.
Excellent. You are taking an important step.
All you can do is make reasonable decisions going forward, and your son is showing signs of emotional disturbance. Yes, he should be evaluated by a pediatric mental health professional, such as a child psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. As for your influence, saying you can't contol what you say and how you say it is not a reasonable approach. It's up to you to get a handle on your own behavior. Until you do so, all the help you try to arrange for your son will not be effective. He will change to the extent that you can change. It is encouraging that you are recognizing your failings - now be sure to address those shortcomings.
Thanks so much for your advice I have already consulted with a tharipist for me. I have my first meeting tomorrow. Thanks!!