Child Behavior Expert Forum
imaginary friend,10yr old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

imaginary friend,10yr old

My daughter of ten,who had an imaginary friend 5 years ago has suddenly appeared again.It concerns me that at such an older age this should happen,It frightens me at times as when she first mentioned this we lived at a different property,and described other things that related to that place.Her friend is the same one she had then 5 yrs ago.and she decribed things that had happened there.
I really find this hard to understand,unless jess sees things we cant,
many thanks deborah
This is a bit unusual for her age, but not necessarily a sign that invites alarm. Talk with her about the imaginary friend and see what she's thinking. If the use of the imaginary friend reflects a difficulty managing her current relationships and challenges, it could deserve concern. However, if she is developing well, is healthy, has friends, is engaged in some normal peer pursuits, is doing OK in the family and in school, I would not worry about it.