impulse control?

I have a question regarding impulse control.  I have a 9 year old boy and a 12 year old boy.  The 9 year old, for a long time now, has been making annoying noises and constantly interrupting conversations.  What I mean by annoying noises is that it will be so quiet in the house and all of a sudden he will let out a scream.  He also will make repetitive clicking noises with his tongue or will bang on the couch with his hand.  He has been repeatedly told to stop making the noises, but keeps going.  His older brother tells him to stop, he doesn't listen, then the older one hits the younger one, the younger one hits the older one and so on.  I don't think this is for attention.  Is it impulse control or something else?  How do I fix it? He does very well in school, doesn't get into any trouble.  He does have a hard time making friends, though.
Thank you
Brenda
Hm.  I'm not sure.  Our son was evaluated for a developmental delay called sensory integration disorder and they quizzed me quite a bit on this subject.  Your son doesn't sound like has any issues like that at all though.  And this happens only at home and not at school.  Doesn't sound like it is relavent.  But that is all I can think of in reference of someone who can't control the impulse to do it.  My son does not do that---- as of yet.    Is he trying to get your attention or bored?  
First thing that comes to my mind is Turrets. I would think that this is something that could sound like a very minor case of it...although these behaviours would prob be noticeable in school too. Have you noticed any twitching ??  I would keep an eye on it. Good Luck!
It does sound like he is seeking attention and also there is a problem between the 2 boys with the older one hitting, the younger one is antagonising him, so what you have here is a brother interaction problem to solve . I would seperate them up, and remind the older son he cannot lash out at will , maybe you have to step in and see the dynamics here.