Child Behavior Community
inappropriate touching by my 10 year old son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Please help.  I really don't know where to go from here.  Earlier this year my sister in law rang to say her 4 year old daughter had told her my then 9 year old son had explained to her how to have sex.  When they were both questioned seperately we were happy that explaining is as far as things went.  I had a long chat with my son and explained how wrong the situation was and how wrong and bad it would have been to act on it.  We came to the conclusion that this was sparked by images he'd seen on the internet.  I immediately took steps to make it safer and we monitored his playtime with his little cousin.  I thought that was that but last night he came to me very upset saying around the same time he had stroked his other younger cousin's penis through his pjs it only happened once and again I explained how wrong it was and how actions like that could really hurt his cousins .  He insists nothing like that has happened to him. I really need help as to where to go from here he insists it happened once.  He is a bright kid usually happy, good in school who I thought knew right from wrong and I'm devastated and really need some guidance please.
    If I read this correctly, this happened earlier this year - and nothing else has happened since then.   This is also not uncommon for young boys to experiment.
   I think that the fact he came to you and confessed so much longer after the fact, means that he is still troubled by either the experience or (perhaps your reaction).  Either way, I think it would be appropriate to congratulate him for telling you and make sure that nothing else is still bothering him.
I agree, i think its very important to have good communication with him.
He feels comfortable enough to tell you.
this is perfictly normal behaviour simply observe from a distance and be their to talk to your son when he needs it, at times this will not be easy as everyone should be well aware how embaasing such conversations can be for children that are getting close to puberty. a fairly common occurence is a genitic trait known as precocious puberty where a child starts to go through the early signs of puberty a few years early between 7 and 9 for males and 6 and 8 for females. however this is nothing to worry about as it is natural and has some benifites. such benifites are that while they remain in puberty for an extended amount of time the sudden mood swings and other effects of hormone increases are reduced somewhat.

however It is more likely that your son is just curious and is starting to experement like most boy do around that age. the best thing to do is simply observe and explain thing to your son as needed, don't push him but set boundaries and talk to him about what he needs to know when he needs to know it.