Child Behavior Expert Forum
infant masturbation

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

infant masturbation

I am very anxiously of my daughters behavior. Since she is 4 months old she very often cramping her body.
Everytime before she going to sleep she is cramping and then she is altogether wet of her body. Also when we give her no attention or she must lying on her back on the ground she started with cramping. She cross her legs en cross her arms en dan she begin with groan en she become wet and cramping all over her body. There are days when I am not go for a walk with her that she doing it 70% of the time she is wakeful. The docters in Holland think that it is infant masturbation but she do it very very often not sometimes of a day but when I let her go she can do it one hour till she fall in sleep and when she wake up she started again. After many test in the hospital they make the diagnose infant masturbation. Now she is 11 months en she doing it very often in spite of she can forwards now. The docters says that we ignore it but it not decrease. When I give her no attention she not stop with it.
My question is can't being a birth trauma or is she angry when she is allone or something why she doing it, at the moment it composed our life and I am afraid that it had consequetions for her development. At the last time the docter says that she doing it a lot of for infant masturbation. My question is what is your experience is it possible that our daughter do it 70% of the time or do you think it is something else. It is something she do it by her self no epilepsy the docters examine it.

Children this young develop ways to soothe themselves and this can be one of the ways. Now, the extent to which your daughter is engaging in the behavior is unusual. So it is not the behavior per se, but the degree to which she is displaying it, that is the problem. It's important to have items around her that she can interact and play with so that she is not unoccupied. Also, be sure to check with her pediatrician about how she is developing in general. Sometimes children who have developmental delays or lags engage in this sort of behavior more than would be expected.