Child Behavior Community
involuntary muscle movement when excited and sleepy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My daughter will be 3 in late April.  She has developed normally physically as well as mentally.  She is very intelligent and well behaved, as much as a two year old can be!!  She does an involuntary movement and has since she was very small.  I have had her to two different peds. and they both assured me that the movements with her hands and arms were completely normal if there was no delay in her devlopement in other areas.  She does this when excited and sleepy.  My concern is that it has gotten more intense.  She now not only flaps her arms but also hops and makes a face with her left eye crossed. I have no idea what it is, her doctors say that every thing is normal, family members keep naggin to take her to a specialist but I would rather her not be tested like a lab rat if at all possible.....Just would like an opinion or 2.  

Thanks, Mary

This discussion is related to Involuntary muscle movements when excited.
my son will be 3 oct 08 and has been doing the same movements for about a year.. movement excites him like automatic doors,lifts,dvd tray opening and closing and he will flap his hads and his bottom jaw drops down at the same time. I was getting concerned as when taking him to toddler groups he would sit at the top of the chute and do his excited movements watching all the kids going down, and I suppose it's 'mothers instinct' but I've never seen other kids doing this.He is the same as your daughter as in other development fine in fact he can read some words and knows his numbers and colours.
I had to convince his dad to let me take him to the doctors as he was of the opinion 'he will grow out of it' but I have been on mat leave for last year with our 2nd son and can see it getting worse.
I put in details on this web site in feb 08 because I read another posting frm 06 about a boy who does the same movements as my son when excited.. there was a response to this posting and the doctor said best to be refered to peds specialising in movement disorders.
I am waiting on a refferal at the moment and have been advised waiting list 6weeks (NHS scotland uk)
Have took my son to see a holistic practioner, I took footage of my son when he was doing his movements as it is quite hard to explain. The doctor did Cranial osteopathy on my son and gave him to herbal remedies..Apicerebrum and Nervoheel.. The difference has been amazing to say the least..my son was getting to the stage where we couldnt take him many places as we wouldnt get past the door!! he just wanted to go through it and watch it open and close..we can now visit childrens play areas with no tantrums.
I got loads of info looking up PNKD on google..apparently there is a neurological condition that is brought on when the person is excited ..I took everything I printed off the net about the condition with me when I took my son to the doctor.. I got the feeling I would have been dismissed had I not looked into it so much.

sorry this is a bit like a book... but I know how you feel..we just want to get straight to diagnosis without putting our kids through the stress of seeing endless doctors

let me know how you get on .. more than happy to chat about this with you

Regards

Kay
Hi!! My daughter is 8 years old all "A" honor roll student, very atlethic and sweet;  she start with these exact movements when she was around 2 years old. It has been super hard I have visit to many doctors. And all they said is "she is going to grow out of it". We live in McAllen Tx. Not that many good doctors here. And I really need some answers ,  my sweet baby is start getting worry about what her classmates might think if her. Is heart breaking. Please any advice will be appreciated.  Best regards. Karla
Hi there.  My son is eight and also has some involuntary  movements.  He's done something like a finger roll is the best way I can describe it.  It is very awkward looking and there is also some flapping of arms involved at times.  

Now my son, while quite bright, plays sports and doing well, does have sensory integration disorder.  Just to tell you that.

This year, he was finger rolling a lot and it turned into snapping fingers.  He snaps and snaps.  He then started pushing air into his upper lip and maing a little sound.  And now he is clicking his teeth.  It is at different times.
it is tic like and I don't think he is even really aware that he is doing it and he said just the other day that if he does the air thing to the lip, if it gets started, he'll do it a million times.

Most likely he is doing it to calm his nervous system or as a coping mechanism for anxious moments/moments in which he is bored and needs woken up neurologically, etc.  He has no other signs of something like OCD so I am not worried about that as much as anxiety and neurological input impulses related to his sensory issues.

We are going to consult a psychologist about it as if it is related to anxiety, I'd like to work on coping strategies for him.  
You could consult a psycholgist for the same reason if you think it fits.  good luck
  I can't remember does your son have something like a "worry" ball to mash/squish/mold ?  And if so - has that helped?
We've tried various fidgets and worry balls.   Works a little but those movements find there way into a lot of places.  My son has been pitching for his baseball team and he's out on that mound snapping away!  We use gum for oral soothing a lot.  When I hear a click of the teeth . . .   I run and get the gum.  But this isn't allowed in school.

He has a hard time also not wanting to look 'different' and I have a hard time with items that he is willing to take into public. We have come upon a fidget that is really awesome that is not noticable. They make wiki sticks which are these bendable colored sticks that kids use to mold and make things.  Well, I cut that into maybe a three inch or 4 inch piece and he can keep it in his pocket and bend it, play with it, etc.  

Anyway, those are some strategies we've employed so far.
FYI--  the brand of the sticks we have that I cut to make a small fidget are 'benderoos".  
My daughter has just started doing the same exact thing. We saw a neurologist because the first time she did it, it mimicked a seizure. She got diagnosed with sterio-op-a-peas. Not sure of the spelling. I have been trying to get te correct spellin and do some research but unable to find it.