Child Behavior Community
is acting like a dog normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

is acting like a dog normal?

I have recently started watching a friends 2 boys. I have 2 small girls, ages 2 1/2 and 4, the boys are 5 and 7. The 5 year old boy insists he is a dog when he is at our house, crawling, barking and even peeing like a dog outside. I have asked him to stop peeing outside, only because I don't want him to go infront of my girls, and the kids play out there, I don't want them to play in it! I brought it up with their Mom today, and she said that he does it at home too. Taking it one step further, she said he had even gone outside to go poo, then got their dog to come down to eat it. Is this normal? Is there something I should be watching for? Could it just be a 'stage' or is it typical of his age group? I don't want to panic or jump to conclusions, but I think it is wierd!
He may be somewhat immature for his age, but it is normal for say a 2 to 4 year old to pretend that they are a dog.  He seems to take it alittle farther than most children.  I know plenty of boys (who turned out normal) who went to the bathroom outside even "poo".  
Hi there,  my little boy went though a stage like this mind you he never went to the toilet outside nut he did crawl around on his hands and knees even when we went to the supermarket the first time he did this when we were out I was so embarassed that I told him to stop it then I heard that it was quiet normal for them to use thier imagation like this.  Not sure if that helps at all but I know quite a few children who have done this as before I had my little one I worked in child care.
Thanks so much! The acting like a dog part is the least of my concern! I think it is great when kids can use their imaginations for sure! Going to the bathroom outside however, I was ok with the peeing, on the outside of the yard, into the bush, the base of the tree etc, etc. There has been twice now he has gone in inapropriate places. Once at the door of our tent, whle the kids were playing inside it, and once in our garage. (the garage does have a dirt floor, but still, in the garage!?!) At 5 years old, kids know where and where NOT to pee...don't they?? Thanks for your comments ladies, I need all the help I can get!