Child Behavior Community
is my 12 year old depressed????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

is my 12 year old depressed????

My 12 year old son has changed in his behaviour in the last six months or so, he is become even more shy than he was, scared of darkness, has trouble going to sleep, doesn't like to go out and interact with other people, does not have a best friend, very shy at school, gets ignored by his classmates sometimes and he cries, i am very concerned that he is depressed, he spends 10 to 12 hours on the computer, i need help, please
I'm sorry you all are going through such a trying time. One thing that could be affecting him is puberty. All those hormones can be pretty confusing and hard to handle. Especially since it sounds like he is a shy kid to begin with. I think shy kiddos have a tougher time managing all those changes because their friendship circle is smaller, they don't see others going through this as well. However
at this is also an age that emotional issues can develop. He could be experiencing some depression or anxiety disorder. Both are treatable with good persistant care. I think it may be a good idea to make an appointment with a child psychologist in your area for an
evaluation to see if depression or anxiety are an issue for him. They can help him gain skills to manage the challenges he is having. Most will make recommendations to pdoc if they think medication would be helpful. Good luck to both of you.
Have you thought to get him doing more than just the computer,it sounds too long to me, at this age sports are great, and how about his Dad do they do  guy things together, he sounds to be feeling somewhat isolated, which would lead to anxiety . If he feels lke this at school it is up to parents to try to socialise him more , has he any siblings ?
Listen, I am a child and I am much like this but not depressed for one thing check the history on the computer if it is like a game or website without bad content he may be addicted to it I was for a while. But it could be depression probaly see what is going on at school or if he EVER goes out with any friends talk to their parents good luck!
Listen, I am a child and I am much like this but not depressed for one thing check the history on the computer if it is like a game or website without bad content he may be addicted to it I was for a while. But it could be depression probaly see what is going on at school or if he EVER goes out with any friends talk to their parents. I am a lot like this and I have anxiety issues it has been much better ever since I got involved in activities mostly outdoors.
good input smartie   I agree this child needs to be outside more having fun he is too isolated and on the PC way too much he is sad .also board games are great make time for him luis .......