Child Behavior Community
is there need for prolonged therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

is there need for prolonged therapy

Hi I am a foster parent residing in Ireland,I have a 12 year old boy in my care for last 2 1/2 years.We love him dearly.He came from a very disruptive home,where his parents and others videoed and took pictures of  him and his siblings and other children.The parents swapped partners and the children had to video them.Then the children had to to also perform acts on each other and adults.
The child was the first to be removed out of the family home at the age of 9.He is one of 4 siblings.The reason for removal at the time was his parents reported him for touching his siblings.After one year in our care, he disclosed the details of the level of abuse.No charges had been made yet, but his brothers have told similar stories.He has attended therapy weekly but the therapists keep changing and our foster son has a way of tunning off and nodding at all the right times.The therapy seems to only offer support to him as an abuser.Our argument with the services constantly is that there needs to be more work done for an abused child. He hates attending sessions and feels he just sits there while they talk and talk.He goes with a support worker swimming weekly for the last year and we and the worker  agree that he has come as far as he can with this and could gain something more from some other activity now, but they say NO.We have a boy in our care now who is well adjusted has no desires to touch other children.(But we would always keep our eyes and ears peeled) The child himself would always let us know if he was struggling with a situation.They have not moved on with this child there refuse to give him more guidance to move forward.Our attitude now is get lost and go it alone.The other thing is we used to foster older children but a month ago the new team of 2 decided NO more placements.We don't understand.They say our foster son might find it emotionally challenging.We have fostered several since his arrival here even when he was disclosing and he always got a great deal out of it,as he seen children like himself with their struggles.I hate them the say JUMP AND WE SAY HOW HIGH.  
Thank you for an interesting post , you live under the British governments ruling I assume , so this would account for some of what you tell us...I agree with you that this boy of 12 year old could use some differant therapy especially if it was'nt proved .What will happen if you take him out of therapy are there repercussions for you ?