Child Behavior Expert Forum
loud talking

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

loud talking
Perhaps this question doesn't belong here but then again perhaps I'm wrong. Why would a child talk so loud everytime they speak to you, even if there is no background noise? This is a  perfectly healthy 4 year old girl, who is in school, no complaints from the teacher, she is on track, and doing great. We just wonder why does she feel the need to talk so loud? hearing test at the peds office was normal too. Hope you have some insight for me.
Thanks,
Joyce
Dear JMACG,

The ususal volume of a person's voice, barring any extraordinary medical problem, is pretty much an automatic part of their functioning. Just as some people are generally low key, others are more active or high strung, so to speak. So it probably isn't that your daughter 'feels a need' to talk loudly - it's just part of her makeup. And, except for some circumstances when it would be inappropriate to be talking loudly, it probably does not make sense to address your daughter about this, particularly at her age, because she will not display voluntary control over it. Dr. KDK
A related discussion, loud talking was started.