Child Behavior Expert Forum
maturity?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

maturity?

My older son is 10 1/2 and in 5th grade. At school he seems to act like all the other kids. He is fine in public settings or with friends. He's very chatty, but not bad behaved. He occasionally has some problems with listening and filtering. For instance, you can be talking to him about something and you just know he's thinking ahead of you. Sometimes he will blurt out what he's thinking-- but mostly now he knows to not break in. He functions well at school, great grades in advanced classes, no problems with organization...responsible with school work, homework et cetera.

At home though is a different story. Here are things I am concerned about. Is it normal for a 10 (almost 11) year old boy to:
have to be constantly reminded to use the fork in front of him, be reminded frequently to not smack his food, need reminders to wash his hands after using the bathroom, need supervision to brush his teeth to ensure that he actually does it, need checking in on the shower-- because if we don't he'll stay in there forever without washing his hair. He's disorganized and impulsive at home and leaves his clothes all over the floor and sometimes he will still race around  the house despite this being against the rules (he does not race around at school). Also is it normal for him to whine still? Frequently he whines-- and sometimes he even talks like a baby still? Even my younger son seems more mature. At home, I sometimes feel like I still have a toddler!

If not normal, what possible diagnoses? If normal, when does one outgrow these things and demonstrate a more mature nature at home?  Also is it normal for these things to wax and wane? Some days he seems just fine-- others- not so much?