Child Behavior Community
my 5 year old son is so misbehaving in school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I am on the brink of loosing it !!! I don't know what to do anymore ! I've tried to punish him by taking his computer time from him, his playstation 2, his toys, his cartoons, etc. I've been making him go to bed earlier than usual. He misbehaves in school to the point where his teacher has to call me at work to pick him up ! It's so frustrating to me because I'm doing everything in my power [or so I think ] to fix this problem. I need help !!
have you given back the ps2, computer time , toys, cartoons?

Sometimes moms restrict for just 24 hours and there is a possibility there is not enough sting there to make an impact-

The early bedtime is excellent and so logical since he is taking time away from your work to pick him up for misbehaving- he then loses free time-

I know it's hard- how long has he been acting up and can you tell us what the punishment is at school and what behaviors are the worst ones at school....
what exactly is he doing????
I have and still have this problem with my 6 year old. No issues with me, but when he gets to school he acts like a crazy child.

First, he an only child? How strict are the teachers at school?

Alot of issues sometimes rest on the school and how they deal with our children these days. Is the school effectively communicating to your child that he is in trouble? Are the teachers "push-overs"?

But all in all, try and stay calm and dont stress yourself out (believe me on that one!) Its a long road ahead :)

Also, make sure you talk to your child when he gets home and make him explain to you why he is doing things at school. He needs to know that he is accountable and has to own up to what he did. The punishment part is fine, but make sure he explains himself to you.
I have the same exact problem with my 5 year old daughter!! We have tried EVERYTHING from spanking, time out, taking toys, tv etc, rewarding her and she still gets in trouble 3-4 days out of the week.  She is an only child and quite bright but she cannot continue to behave this way! She is yelling at her teacher, having an attitude, refusing to cooperate and arguing with the other kids.  We made an appointment next week with a child psychologist and I am praying that it helps!! I am at my end... I feel like I have failed her as a parent.
i have a 5 yr old boy and have the same problems but a little worse, my five year old is currently suspended from kindergarten for his behavior..... im researching something call oppositional defiant disorder. fits my son to a t! he is good at home though. idk i spend most of my days crying and confused but i am currently looking for a therapist
   There is a good section on ODD on page 54 and 55 in Ashleys book.