Child Behavior Community
my 7 year old hates school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

my 7 year old hates school

My 7 year old just in the past 2 months really hates school he cries every moring and every nigh before bed we put him to be around 7 and he is alseep around 8 if not before. This week he has been on break and every day he counts and cries how many days he has left untill school. We have asked him how to make this better for him and he all he says is keep him home or pick him up everday early. Also i have even been doing work with him on his subjects at home to help make him understand better at school but that dont even seem to help him and when we tell him that it is the law to go to school or his parents go to jail he says he dosent even care that we can go to jail please help me i dont know what to do anymore. This has been going on for 2 months now and we have even taled with the teachers and staff at school and they say he crys alot everday and refuses to do his work sometimes but then some days he is fine. so please help
Try to get to the bottom of what is bothering him first. When you spoke with the teachers, was it about his performance only or also about his social interactions at school? Is there a way you can talk more with your son about what is happening at school in detail?

My son only started Grade 1 recently and is in a new after-school program. He is doing really well "academically" and likes his teacher but is very emotional, clingy and overwhelmed on some days and sometimes just plain angry. We play board games every night and talk a bit.
Turns out there are several forces "stirring him up":
- one older boy keeps telling him during recess how awful such and such a teacher in Grade 2 is. My son now even wants us to move before he reaches Grade 2.
- in his after-school program he is apparently surrounded by a bunch of 5 boys who swear and don`t follow the rules. The program leader is trying to keep my son separate from the bunch so he will not be influenced but of course he doesn`t want to be an outcast. He is torn between values.
- his beloved teacher praised all girls in his class for sitting and drawing so properly. Right away my son felt betrayed in his ambitions to be good. He said his teacher was mean-in-disguise.

All these feelings of confusion, fear and perceived rejection can easily pile up within a week or two and lead to the child`s overwhelming feeling that it is best to stay away from school. I am trying very hard these days to let my son explain what is going on. A few times he cried as well, so I tried to change the morning routine by stopping at a coffee shop or by riding the bike/ jogging to school - and at least it gave him a new perspective for the day. I think even 7-year-olds need a parent to untangle and sort out their emotions sometimes.  Hope you`ll get through this alright.
check it out something  is upsetting him, so if its the school find out why and no upsetting him speaking of parents going to jail, that will only make things worse and cause anxiety. If he cries at school ask the teachers what happens prior to the crying, does he get on with the other children are there any bullies at the school.