Child Behavior Expert Forum
my 8 year old daughter

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

my 8 year old daughter

My 8 year old daughter is strong willed by nature and quite a individual. She is confident but almost oblivious to other people at times. I have just moved her school as she was being mildly bullied by a couple of girls who always kept denying they were being nasty. I do realise she may not be totally innocent as for example if she does not want to play a certain game the others are playing she will simply walk away and prefer to be alone. But then she says she feels lonely. I told her she must do things to please others then maybe they will play a game she wants to play she says they never listened.Anyway I have moved school and she is happier but still she lacks the ability to connect with others in her class.She has made a couple of friends and they have been around to our house to play but she does not get asked back.She has rarely had party invites,etc.After school and weekends I suggest she goes to call for a friend to play ( a school friend literally lives a min away on the same street )she says she cannot be bothered. She is not a unhappy child, she is fun and always full of energy and very loving with me,will snuggle up like shes a baby and says she prefers to be with me than anyone else and of course I love that, but am just worried that she is not learning how to socialize and be with others. I have tried alsorts,she went to a dance class for a year and really enjoyed the dancing but did not make one friend.She simply did the dancing and came out,again almost not even realising she never talked to others even though they tried to talk to her.On her birthday I ask a few class mates around for a party and they seem to happily come and she gets on with everyone,but never has a connection with anyone to have a real friendship.I am hoping she is just emotionally immature maybe?.She is so loving with me like I say so I cannot see it is Austism,but is it some social disorder?.She has never asked why she never gets asked to parties,etc, so she is not upset but I am worried obviously one day she will realise.Or is this my problem?I am worrying when she is not! help please x
She would benefit from a social skills group. This sort of experience would help her establish the skills necessary to make connections with other children and navigate the normal ups and downs of peer relations.