Child Behavior Expert Forum
my brain told me to do it

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

my brain told me to do it

My 3 yr old put his hand in boiling water and burned his fingers. When asked why he did it, he said his brain told him to do it. I asked if he heard voices or a person telling him to do it, he was unable to tell explain to me how his brain spoke to him or if he just reacted to curiosity. He is the middle child and is always fighting for the spotlight. He has done other things in the past and tells me that his brain told him to do it. He also like to hit and bully his other brothers. I was talking to him yesterday directly and he just slapped me. He didn't know why he did it. Should I be concerned? What other signs should I look for? Thank you.
One of the major developmental tasks for children this age is to master impulses. When they comment about their brain telling them to do something, it is not an indication of auditory hallucinations. It;s a matter of recognizing the impulse. As time progresses he will learn to control his impulses. As far as aggression is concerned, there should be a firm limit on such behavior and he should be disciplined any time he acts in an aggressive way. Sound discipline would be a five-minute time out, with the time commencing only when he is seated and quiet.