Child Behavior Expert Forum
my child has severe migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

my child has severe migraines

my 7 year old has been suffering from severe headaches which cause him to run a really high tempature. he has been diagnosed with adhd. he has problems with constipation which our doctor has prescribed medicine for but noone can seem to tell me why these headaches persist.his diet is very good-no junk food no caffeine etc. i asked my doctor about a pediatric neurologist but he insists its either his diet or even worse blows me off. i know that its not his diet. i have studied and researched and am very cautios about hte food he intakes. could his adhd be a cause for these severe headaches? is there something else that i can do for him?
There is no reason to believe that ADHD is associated with your son's headaches. Now, if he is treated with stimulant medication, this can bring on headaches. Migraine syndrome is present in some children, and I think your desire to consult with a pediatric neurologist is quite sensible. Keep pushing for this.
My son is 12 and has had migranes (migraines) since he was 3, I was taking him to his regular ped. doctor and was receiving no medication or answers. These headaches became much worse and at age 7 I finally took him to the emergency room for a shot for the pain and vomitting. The ER doctor recommended a pediatric neurologist and it has been great.  He is now on medicine and things are really going well.  Seek out the doctor...dont even give up!
A good way to see if your child gets intense and almost chronic migraines is to see if he has dillusions with his pain. This usually points out that the brain is sending an overload of information, WHich usually pinpoints migraine action. For now there is no cure for migraines but only med's that help ease the pain. Talk to your PEdiatrician about migraines and maybe even a neurologist, if worse comes to worse, or some cases worser.

Hope I helped

Todd H. Willsie