Child Behavior Community
my friend thinks its okay to smoke marjuana around 3 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My friend has smoked pot through her entire pregnancy constantly and really strong potent stuff. I tell her that it is probally not safe for her unborn child. She would tell me that her doctors think that smoking pot is better than cigerattes and she did both. Also she would say that she used to get really sick and the only way that she would be able to hold food down would be by smoking pot and her doctor was okay with that. Her son is three years old now and he has extreme hiperactivity and has a very  serious delinquency problem to the point where he may get kicked out of public school. She has smoked around him since he was born and a lot of times it will be in an unvented room. And then there is time were there would be about ten people in that room. Her theary now is that marjuana smoke has no effect on him and that the THC once blown looses it potency. I need to find some scientific facts to show this childs parents that it is not okay. The funny thing about this is that she will smoke her ciggerettes outside but not her marijuana. Does anyone have any facts about this. and some advise about what I should do?
First off, tell your friend that the lungs only capture about 20-30% of the THC in the smoke, the rest is exhaled.  Multiply that by ten...  And smoke is smoke.
Here are some myths and facts based on scientific research, not our Government's embelishments.

Myth: Marijuana Use During Pregnancy Damages the Fetus. Prenatal marijuana exposure causes birth defects in babies, and, as they grow older, developmental problems. The health and well being of the next generation is threatened by marijuana use by pregnant women.

Fact: Studies of newborns, infants, and children show no consistent physical, developmental, or cognitive deficits related to prenatal marijuana exposure. Marijuana had no reliable impact on birth size, length of gestation, neurological development, or the occurrence of physical abnormalities. The administration of hundreds of tests to older children has revealed only minor differences between offspring of marijuana users and nonusers, and some are positive rather than negative. Two unconfirmed case-control studies identified prenatal marijuana exposure as one of many factors statistically associated with childhood cancer. Given other available evidence, it is highly unlikely that marijuana causes cancer in children.

Myth: Marijuana Use Impairs the Immune System. Marijuana users are at increased risk of infection, including HIV. AIDS patients are particularly vulnerable to marijuana's immunopathic effects because their immune systems are already suppressed.

Fact: There is no evidence that marijuana users are more susceptible to infections than nonusers. Nor is there evidence that marijuana lowers users' resistance to sexually transmitted diseases. Early studies which showed decreased immune function in cells taken from marijuana users have since been disproved. Animals given extremely large doses of THC and exposed to a virus have higher rates of infection. Such studies have little relevance to humans. Even among people with existing immune disorders, such as AIDS, marijuana use appears to be relatively safe. However, the recent finding of an association between tobacco smoking and lung infection in AIDS patients warrants further research into possible harm from marijuana smoking in immune suppressed persons.

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

I guess I should have put all of this together, I am not a doctor or a researcher, but have been around drugs of one find or another my whole life.  I am also a very observant person, I used to be an aircraft inspector, and am now a Structural inspector.
Seeing the long term effects of pot use to adolescent development it appears that mental development is suppressed.  I have also seen individuals finish thier developement in thier 20's.  Is this good or bad, I don't know.  I do know that smoking pot during thier youth had learning difficulties that followed them thru life.  
The best advice to give your friend is to NOT expose any child to any kind of smoke, thier lungs are still developing, heck, the whole child is developing, why hinder any of that developement.  There is THC in the smoke.  Keep kids away from any smoke.  Period.
I'm just kinda wondering what the heck this girl's child is doing while she sits around on her butt all day smoking Pot!!!!!!!!!!  What a lousy Mother.  I don't care if it's not PC to say this, it's  true! Tell her to get off her butt, stop putting herself first before her child, and break her disgusting , very unhealthy habits!  Just a note, my Mom and everyone else in my family smoked around me from before birth up till I was 20 and moved out on my own, and now, I have  Reactive Airway Disease, which I did not show any signs of as a child. If I catch cold, I sometimes will get brutal bronchitis, to the point of needing an inhaler, even though I am technically not an asthmatic. I have even quit breathing at one point, because of all the inflamation (inflammation) in my lungs and bronchial tubes.  Second hand smoke has been Proven to cause lung cancer!!! And as for smoke from pot,  who cares if it's proven or not?  It SUCKS, just like any smoke from any drug or cigarette.  The bottom line is,  if she's going to damage her lungs, let her do it outside and not force that kind of **** on her kid. You Do know why she smokes the cigarettes outside but will only smoke the pot indoors , don't you?  Because the POT is ILLEGAL and the cigarettes are not!!!!!!!!!! She just doesn't wanna get caught smoking weed because she knows it's wrong, and that if someone should happen to see her, she might be turned in. PUUUHhhhLease!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ,,,, my guess is , she's probably on welfare, and if she's not, I am not sure how she holds down a job , while being a druggy.  Perhaps if you're truly worried about the welfare of her child, you might call the proper child protective authorities on her? Just a thought. Sorry,, but this lady sounds like a real loser.  It's not even about being judgemental,  it's just damn common sense and common decency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just my opinion.
I agree with aim7407 if you really care about the child call Child Protective Services! If she can't put her own child first what are you getting out of her as a friend?  Time for you to evaluate your priorities...sounds like you have had ample time to to put the child first too.  What do YOU think is more important,  this child or your so called friendship? Call CPS!
Please think before calling cps. My parents smoked pot all through my childhood.  Once I was old enough(9) they told me the truth about it.  They did not smoke it with me in the room; they would go outside or wait until I went to bed and smoke in their bedroom.  Plenty of their friends could have thought I was being exposed to toxic pot smoke.  Other than the pot smoking they were the absolute best parents you could ask for.  My mom was a homemaker and my father had and still has the same wonderfull job.  They were and are not "druggies".  They taught me things and took fabulous vacations and never got arrested or had cps at our lovely house.  They spent time with me and I was involved in sports and ballet and girl scouts. I didn't miss anything because of their smoking.  We never had "shady characters"  comming to our house.  We lived in a great neighborhood.  They never lied to me and they never made it seem like it would be acceptable for me to smoke too.  Many of the people my father works with also share this habit and also lead absolutely respectable lives. I have become a well rounded adult (and I feel no need to smoke anything)   Bottom line, if these are great parents and great friends who can't stop smoking then help them stop.  If they are a lousy trash family then by all means get rid of your friend and call cps.  I am just saying think hard about getting someone in legal trouble and ripping a family apart unless you have hard proof that this child is really in the middle of this.  I really hope that everything works out for this family.  Although... you may want to smack her for not understanding that smoking ANYTHING durring a pregnancy is a bad idea if you care at all about the miracle growing inside of you.  (joking about the smack of course.)  
I would definitely not call the cops on your parents but this child's mom sounds like she does it more than for recreation. It sounds like it's all she does. Contrary to the myth above, I wouldn't be surprised if this child develops asthma. I am a testament to that and I only smoked pot for one hard core college freshman year. Pot smokers inhale way deeper than a silly old cigarette. Plus, they hold their smoke much longer. Do I regret it?you betcha! This poor kid is being set up for failure-they do it right in front of him. It'll be his norm and possibly his "gateway" drug. Pretty sad situation. What do you think?
ok so smoking pot in the same room as your kid is f ing stupid and thats that... Tell me how the F smoke wont hurt a childs lungs... as for smoking pot while your pregnant thats a o k with me... i think its fine. i've never heard of a child having birth defects from the mother smokin pot while pregnant. cigarettes shouldnt be smoked like a normal smoker while pregnant because the child will end up feening for nicotine after being born... there are tons of harmful things in cigarettes... not saying weed is good for you but in all reality the only thing f-d up thing about weed is the tar... and the unborn child isnt breathing in there.. Tell her she is a crappy mom and shouldnt be smokin pot in the same room as her child thats terrible.
one more thing.... DONT CALL THE COPS... just let her know smoking pot while the kid is in the room is what makes her a crappy mom... not the fact that she is doing it... cause in all honesty i have a 14 month old and i smoke LOTS of pot.... it has never caused me to make a bad decision or impared my judgment.. and the only people who can understand what im trying to say is someone who has smoked pot more then 30 or so times... cause i remember the first few times i smoked pot i was an idiot and didnt know wtf i was doin. but after smoking pot for so long its like a sober high.. Peace...
i feel sorry for your 14 month old.
!-800-392-3738 is the number to the hot-line for child abuse. You do not have to give your name when you call. I am sure there are numerous people that know of this situation and she will never have a clear enough mind to figure out it was you. If this poor child's parent is smoking pot on a regular basis in the presence of her child, I would suspect that her child will test positive for marijuana. If she has smoked pot with 10 other people in the room, sooner or later, this child will become a victim of one kind or another. Please help this child to be safe. If you make that call, then whatever happens to this child, it will not be your fault.
While it is wrong that she smokes pot and cigarrettes around her child, I don't think child services should be called.  I think you should help to get her into a drug recovery program.  I know of a very rich (CEO of a fortune 500 company) family that smokes pot--the entire family.  I don't know why aim7407 would think she is on welfare just because she smokes pot.  If you look at drug use in America, it is increasingly popular with the middle class, and drugs have always been used by upper class people--it is just that they don't get arrested as often.

I hope she gets off her pot addiction, and I hope her child sees her recover and thinks twice about using.  

Thank you very much.  I also didn't know why aim thought she would be on welfare.  None of my friends or family are on welfare and several of them enjoy smoking pot.  While I don't participate I do not condemn their choices.  None of these people I speak of smoke with their children though.  
I don't know either.  Her post made me think that she likes to type and belittle people.  The family I know actually buys the pot from their adult children.  I don't believe in doing illegal substances, but I don't think people should have their children taken away.  I think people should have the chance to get better first. My father was/is an alcholic and everyone knew it. I don't drink a drop.  No one called child protective services on us. Children do not always imitate their parents.  That is why young, white middle class teens are on meth while their parents are working and providing a middle class lifestyle for them. Substance addiction does not discriminate.
Yes, treatment is the best choice, but this parent is absolutely in denial about her addiction and the effects that it is having on her child. I have witnessed many times when CPS are notified, the parents are given the option to seek treatment if they want to stay together as a family. If her substance abuse is more important, she will make that choice. Either way, the child will benefit.
the situation is very simple she is a very lazy selfish person, ok she wants to smoke, at least do your mommy duties, then later after your child is put to  bed and every thing is settled then she can relax and smoke, but no where close to the child.this really bothers me, how could you have remained her friend, she has damaged that poor innocent child.