Child Behavior Community
negativity, disrespect, defiance
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

negativity, disrespect, defiance

My son is 4years 9months old. He is very advanced for his age, always has been. He is very good at expressing himself, he spoke very early and by full sentences by age 1, he can read and overall he is ahead of his age deveopmentally. Until 3 he was an angel. Since three he transformed into a little menace. Also when he was 3 1/2 I got pregnant and now have an 8month old son. He never accepted his brother because he wanted a sister (he begged us to give him a sister since he was 2 1/2, was so happy when I was pregnant until we found out it was a boy).
We always tried to make the transition easier, spent one on one time with him, talked about his feelings etc. At first it seemed to be doing well but lately he is full of negativity. He is constanly questioning everything we tell him, he is rude, disrespectful and defiand. He is full of NOs and WHYs. We talk with him, ask him to tell us how he feels, why and if there is something bothering him. We tried enforcing good behaviour, rewarding repeated good behaviour, we try to set good examples, we talk and give opportunity to express his feelings. When all those failed we even tried time outs, depriving priviliges but still. It gets worse. We tell him something he immediately has the answer at the tip of his tongue.  
We don't know how to handle him any more. I have to add that he never was or is agressive or hurts physically. He does it with words.
Any suggestions will be very appreciated.
Thank you